<DESPRATE> Toshiba Laptop - Super Lag

Extremme

Hi gurus, I am in need of help now. I am using a Toshiba Notebook M600 running on Windows Vista Home Edition Version 32 (ie x84) and I am experiencing a super laggy response from the laptop. IT just does not make sense as it is running on centrino duo. What I intend to do is to use the disk recovery method which I downloaded from:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

My questions as follows:
1) Do I need to format my lappy before inserting the disk recovery? Or I could simply reboot my lappy and load from the disk?

2) I presume inserting this disk recovery would bring ne back to my laptops's original state when I initially purchase it? (i.e OS all ready?)

3) Most importantly, would this method help?

I suspect I have got too many unwanted stuff inside ny lappy hence a thorough clean up will be ideal.

If you gurus have other suggestions, pls let me know. Thks alot!!!!!

What do you mean by lag? Is it slow when loading the OS or other programs? You might want to check into defragmenting the drive to see if that speeds things up a bit. If you really want to get the computer back to the day you got it, you'll need to either boot from a special recovery partition on your hard drive or use a recovery disc provided by Toshiba. The recovery disc from this site is used simply to repair exisitng installations of Vista that are broken and/or are not booting. It cannot fine tune the computer to speed it up or reinstall Windows. Refer to the documentation that came with computer or search Toshiba's website for information on restoring the system to its factory default state.

Hi, you are right. its not abt the OS but just that I felt its slowness whenever I tried run certain programs etc. Hence I thought by restoring to its original state might help. or does it not?

You have better ideas?

When I bought the laptop, I do not recall it coming with a disk recovery disk but instead it asked me to backup a piece of disk recovery which I did. Not sure if it helps?

Btw, for this type of recovery, do I need to format the laptop or I could simply insert the disk and boot from it?

What are the specs? What software do you have installed? What steps have you taken to keep your PC clean from virus/spyware and such.

Taking it back to the factory defaults will not help if there wasnt much change done to it.

Also the disc we provide does NOT allow for installs. It is just a recovery disc for boot issues.

Follow Justin's advice. Scan your system, defrag it, do a disk cleanup, etc.
But if you still want to do a factory reset, see this post.

A few other things to consider since it isn't the OS

And if spyware/adware/crapware etc are not part of the problem.

How much RAM to you have? Doesn't matter if you have dual core if not enough RAM
How many items to you have in your systray? If there are too many, that could slow you down.
Also how many desktop icons do you have? Again, same as above, that could slow you down.

And last but not least.

What size is your hard drive? Is it partitioned and what amount of disk space have you allotted for your OS and programs. You should have at least 25%, or better, free space on your OS drive to work properly and not slow you down.

Last edited:
Good advice from YSbird. A web search will quickly find you lots of sites like this one where you can find out what all the cr*p that's secretly running on your system is.
Quite a lot of tasks and services are there to cover all the bases in case a user might want something, and spend their whole lives (and a good part of your system resources) doing nothing of any use to you.
Take a look at the list and decide which things are never going to be needed, then get rid of them.
(most people seem to like, and even rave about, the Vista indexed search facility, and if you spend a lot of time hunting down stuff on your PC it's probably worth the resources it consumes. I almost never have to look for anything, and was a trifle miffed by the fact that my brand new system spent hours doing stuff that was of no use to me, always whiring away when it should have been idle, and prevented my agressive power-saving options from kicking-in, so just about the 1st piece of customizing I did was to completely disable indexing)
Only you know what features are of any relevance to your situation, but I'd be surprised if there aren't heaps of things you can turn off.

hi peeps, thks again for the advise. I am also not an IT person hence I am always lost with such things. You know afraid that if I deleted this application or files, some other softwares may be affected and this not workable blah blah blah.

Anyway this is a superb website for noobs like me.

Don't worry, you're not deleting anything, just preventing tasks from starting unbidden, or turning services off. You can always turn them on again if you find you need them in the future.

You can also set the computer for best performance if you don't care about Vista's looks.

Attachments

• SettingUpforBestPerformance_Vista.jpg
    SettingUpforBestPerformance_Vista.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 9
kairozomarro actually brings up a good point; Vista is a memory hog and stripping the features for best performance can actually make a noticeable difference.

A few other things to consider since it isn't the OS

And if spyware/adware/crapware etc are not part of the problem.

How much RAM to you have? Doesn't matter if you have dual core if not enough RAM
How many items to you have in your systray? If there are too many, that could slow you down.
Also how many desktop icons do you have? Again, same as above, that could slow you down.

And last but not least.

What size is your hard drive? Is it partitioned and what amount of disk space have you allotted for your OS and programs. You should have at least 25%, or better, free space on your OS drive to work properly and not slow you down.

oh ya.. I know it could be abit alte to response to this post but my system details as follows:

Windows Vista Home Basic
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73
Memory Ram - 2.00GB
System Type - 32 Bit
Hard Disk - 120 GB

This was purchased 2 years back hence it might be very outdated. Is it just fine for normal use?

Anyway I have adopted the methods by kairozamorro and others and it works wonderfully.

As for: "Is it partitioned and what amount of disk space have you allotted for your OS and programs. You should have at least 25%, or better, free space on your OS drive to work properly and not slow you down."

I am not sure how to see this as I am really an amatuer with such things.

Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management will show you the size and layout of your partitions.
Click on Computer/ right click on the individual partition/ properties will show you the free space.
Or download a free copy of "TreeSize" and it will show you exactly where all the garbage on your system is located, and how much is in every folder.

TreeSize is good; though my personal fav is JDiskReport from here: JDiskReport

Only drawback is that it requires Java to be installed, but I really like it. It's hard to explain why since it's such a simple program, but between the user friendliness and the well-designed nature of the software I tend to recommend it quite often :smile:

Is that fully Vista 64 compatible CG ?
If so I'll give it a whirl. Treesize works but gets a bit confused with the pseudo-folders like "My Documents" (which is no great handicap since they don't actually consume space of course)

Downloaded it (twice) but it comes in at 224kB instead of 600 and fails the install integrity check.
Have you got a working copy of the download you can post ?

Back