Did EasyBCD ruin my Samsung Laptop?

mjt

I downloaded the program and found my way to what I believe was a list of boot options. The box named Windows 8 was checked and I used the "move up" button and put it at the top of the list, my computer had just downloaded some updates and a window opened stating I needed to restart the computer, I selected ok and closed out all open programs and restarted. Problem is it never restarted, if I turned it on it would go to the initial startup screen (samsung press f2 for set up ect) then it shuts right back off. I am unable to get into the bios, I am ONLY able to boot the computer from a live USB by pressing and holding down F9. However it will only run linux, if I try a fresh windows install then it installs and shuts down but again will only turn on by USB holding F9 therefore sending it back into the same Windows install cycle. I bought the windows 8 recovery disk from neosmart and all that does is give me a grub rescue command screen. I booted into Ubuntu and opened EasyBCD and the only item listed in the SAME boot options list was Windows 8. ANY help at all would be great, I work from home and live on that laptop, soooo sending it out is my last option and its upsetting that im unable to use my $1400 laptop, had to buy a new one for temporary use and i also and out the money spent on EasyRE....
Thanks!
Michelline

Are you saying that you installed Linux onto a W8 laptop ?
Microsoft W8-certified laptops come with "secure-boot" to prevent boot-time malware from being able to take over the PC.
MS will not allow you to boot a "foreign" OS through its bootmgr. (EasyBCD cannot influence it)
You can however let Linux take over the boot and use it to dual-boot W8.

Terry,
No I am not saying that I installed Linux on my laptop. I booted the computer from a live linux usb without installing which i have done MANY times prior and with out any issues. As for the recovery disk I purchased from neosmart? any ideas regarding that issue?

If you aren't dual booting anything, then there's no reason to be using EasyBCD, but the fact that you have modified something in the BCD could possibly have caused the same problem as mentioned here
You said that you'd tried to reinstall W8 ?
If you have a W8 DVD, have you booted it and used "repair your computer" > "startup repair" ?
If so, do it three times.
The ability to access the BIOS should not be dependent on anything in the OS, but it could be a problem with W8 "fast boot" which isn't really booting at all, but attempting to resume from a hidden hibernation state.
My mobo has a "go to the BIOS" button. Is anything similar mentioned in your laptop manual ?

Last edited:
Back