Disk Error on reboot

broosth

I have four physical drives in this system. Until last month, I was booting from a drive with three partitions, C:, D:, X:, where C: contains Windows 7 Pro; the others are data. The other physical drives are also data (not bootable). I added an SSD and cloned C: onto that drive with Acronis Trueimage. In order to get it to boot, I had to add an entry to the BCD on what should now be the old c: and keep that as the boot drive in my BIOS. I'd really like to not be reliant on that spinning drive to boot, so I found EasyBCD. Booted from the SSD, I told EasyBCD to designate c: as the boot drive.

When I tell the BIOS to boot from the SSD, I get a Disk Read Error. So I go back to booting from the spinning drive.

What am I missing?

That is precisely what I did. On restart, I go into the BIOS to change the boot drive to the SSD. Then I see: "A disk read error has occurred. Press Alt-Ctl-Del to restart."

Change the BIOS back to boot from the spinning drive and I get the choice of drives to boot from. I know I am running from the SSD because I changed the drive name and I can see which drive is C: in Disk Manager.

When I choose 'Change Boot Drive' and choose a drive letter, is the c: shown the current boot drive? How can I confirm it wrote to the correct place?

I have been letting this ride, but I'd really like to get it fixed. I can confirm there is a Boot folder on the SSD and that is marked Primary, Healthy and Active. There is no System Partition on this drive. So far as I know that is not a requirement for booting Win 7 unless one is using Bitlocker.

What else can I do to get this booting properly?

The letter you use to point the "change boot drive" to the correct location, is whatever letter the booted system sees the SSD as.
The BCD contains no disk letters, just UIDs.
EasyBCD translates those UIDs into the letters which the currently booted system sees them as, in its registry map.
You must talk to it in the same language and call the location as it currently appears, not as it will call itself when it's booted.
If you can see a boot folder on the SSD, then presumably EasyBCD did what you asked.
The problem would appear to lie in the BIOS of your PC if it will not allow you to boot from an SSD

Back