doesn't boot macos

vv75

i have Win7 and MacOS Lion on the same HDD. disk is partitioned with MBR.

i tried to add a boot option for MacOS with EasyBCD.
unfortunately, it doesn't boot macos - it displays a screen with a frog and the apple logo (waits any key for boot, F8 for options), then hangs completely, no matter if i press F8 or any other key, or if i wait for timeout.

if i boot from cd-rom and use another boot manager (i don't know exactly which one is on this DVD), then macos boots okay.
i have the feeling that EasyBCD has installed a defective boot loader without even asking if i want such a thing.
why not just load the boot sector from the macos partition and let it proceed as usual?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
i have the feeling that EasyBCD has installed a defective boot loader without even asking if i want such a thing.
You already told it to dual-boot. It obviously needs to install a bootloader, it can't pull it up out of thin air!

why not just load the boot sector from the macos partition and let it proceed as usual?
EasyBCD has two modes: MBR mode which does just that, and EFI mode which uses a custom bootloader.

Because you don't have a good bootloader on the disk. Your CD is using a custom bootloader on the CD. Where's EasyBCD supposed to get what you want?

vv75

EasyBCD has two modes: MBR mode which does just that, and EFI mode which uses a custom bootloader.
if i add macos with the MBR option, it says "chain booting error" when i try to boot macos. windows boots fine.
ideas?

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Which means, like I was trying to explain, that the bootloader installed to your disk on the Mac partition isn't correct in the first place.

vv75

omg. that frog is supposed to be a chameleon! :smile:
okay.
and what other bootloader you suggest then?

Addendum:

if i understand correctly, chameleon doesn't know how to boot from mbr partitioned drives. is that true?

Last edited: