Don't try this at home !!!

Bhs

so I bought this new laptop - hp pavillion dv6000 - came pre-installed with Vista - was too slow for the mood so without thinking just formatted the C and tried to install XP - then realised XP by default does not support these new sata drives - and ofcourse the recovery portion is useless !!! so no XP and no Vista - which means cannot work today!!! (should have taken a day off!!!)

someone says there is a way to install XP - well if you have a solution to my problem please do share !! or I will have to go buy Vista off the shelf (there goes pocket money for this month !!!)

Cheers

You can contact HP and get a disc sent to you. Will cost you like $10 to $20 for that. To get the drivers on XP you would ahve to use nlite and create your own install disc.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

From here you can add any Service Packs to the disc along with any drivers you want. Since you have to create the disc anyways you would be better off adding all the drivers you will need for that laptop right away. That way you wont haev to go searching for them after XP does install.

Welcome to NST Bhs!

thanx Alex - yeah I have already placed a call to HP _ they say 5 days !!!

in the meanwhile - yeah I will try to know Nlite !!!

5 Days? That stinks. Yeah nlite will be your best option. If you need help finding drivers or anything else let me know. I can even find you a download for SP2 if you need it. :wink:

No. That is not the issue he ran into. He did not burn the Disc from his Recovery Partition. Which can only be done thru Windows. Then he formatted which now leaves him with no OS.

But technically if you request the media they have to send it to you. Granted it will not be free. Just easier when you burn it yourself.

so none the less if i format my computer without having multiple operating systems i can get the same os for cheaper right

It isnt that you get the same OS. You already ahve the serial for it. You are jsut getting the media to isntall it. Which a long time ago was included with the PC's. Not anymore. Now they dont send you the media they just put a recovery partition on.

If you buy Vista at a Store you expect the media along with a serial right? So why is it when you buy a PC you only get a serial? No media is included unless you pay the $20 or more to get it shipped to you.

So in reality they are charging you for something that you should already have. But yes you are right. You could get a disc, just a disc for cheap. But without a legit serial the disc is useless. Personally i think this is a rip off.

What i dont get is since they still give you a cd with your pc, u know the recovery cd, so why not just give u a windows cd, since u can easily burn it to a cd right

^ its about the money of course

they want you to have to come back to them if anything happens with you computer, anything at all, they will fix it, of course, for a price

this the largest reason i do not support computer manufacturers, i would rather build my own with universal parts and not be forced to rely on someone else.

however, you could argue the other side, that computer manufacturers have "better" warranties, and what not. but if you really think a product you buy yourself is bad, it will be bad within the warranty from the part manufacturer, not two years later when you accidentally dropped the part.

that is just my opinion

You can burn it and give it to friends. They jsut wont have a serial to use. This process is a way for the OEM (Original Equipement Manufacturer) to make more money. They dont supply you with a disc and force you to use your own. But if anything were to go wrong you would have to contact them and buy their services.

This is why i make sure that i have a disk on hand for any OS that i use. That way i can re-install it anytime i want without having to go thru any support but myself. Maybe others if i try a new OS like Linux.

three questions then
1st:don't you use the same serail code every time you format your computer
2nd: as long as im not connected to the internet how do they know if somenone els is using the same serial code
3rd: if have vista on one computer and xp on the other can i use the following way to use vista on both

^ well idk

and if you format vista from one computer, you can install it on another with the first serial

i dont know how they do the serial checking :tongueout:

---
@ Mak

if you try linux, you will A. have to have to CD/DVD and B. you have us to help you out :tongueout:

on fees for most linux distro's anyways ^_^

they are the poor mans OS's

Aligator, you cannot because it's illegal and because you MUST connect to the internet in order to validate your serial key. End of story.

well forgetting the illegal part does that mean i can't instal windows without internet?
what about the other 2 questions

You can install it and use it for 30 days before you've got to validate it either by internet or phone.
In theory, you can pay for the cheapest version, install the ultimate (don't give it the key - that's what tells it what version you've paid for) and use it for 30 days then install it over (and over and over ....) again. But of course you lose everything and start again from scratch, so it's a pretty desperate strategy. (I'm not sure of the legality- I don't think you're technically breaking the EULA, but I'm no lawyer). If you eventually want the system to be permanent, you'll have to give it the key and validate it, in which case you get what you paid for.

When you validate, it creates a unique code based on the media serial number, your mobo, CPU, HDD, graphics and more, and unlocks your system with the corresponding unique key.
If you reinstall, when you go online to Windows Update, as long as the hardware and media serial are the same, the key will still fit and you'll carry on working.
If the hardware has changed (ie you could be trying to install the same OS on a second PC) you'll be required to phone for validation, and if you get it, your original system will no longer be able to access WUD.
If the media serial indicates OEM (like mine), you won't be allowed to validate on a new system - the license was for the original system only - unless you are silver-tongued enough to persuade the MS rep that the new mobo/CPU etc is a replacement for a defective original, and then only if it's the same make and model - no crafty upgrades.

Last edited:
without internet you wouldnt b able to get many important updates, unless u want to download them individually from another computer.
However, ( idk if this is old news but i read something about Microsoft sending an update that finds pirated copies)
Description of the update for Windows Vista
The stupid thing it doesnt disable the crack only gives you a pop-up that it is cracked, so i dont know how that helps Microsoft in anyway.

Addendum:

You can install it and use it for 30 days before you've got to validate it either by internet or phone.
In theory, you can pay for the cheapest version, install the ultimate (don't give it the key - that's what tells it what version you've paid for) and use it for 30 days then install it over (and over and over ....) again. But of course you lose everything and start again from scratch, so it's a pretty desperate strategy. (I'm not sure of the legality- I don't think you're technically breaking the EULA, but I'm no lawyer). If you eventually want the system to be permanent, you'll have to give it the key and validate it, in which case you get what you paid for.

Does that mean that if i buy a genuine copy i can only install it on 1 computer?
or they dont care as long as i dont get over-enthusiastic and spread it around the internet?

Last edited:
Yes just the one, see my later edit to previous post which crossed your post in cyberspace.

i doubt they would let you pass out your version to close family ronin
but terry:
(don't give it the key - that's what tells it what version you've paid for) and use it for 30 days then install it over (and over and over ....) again. But of course you lose everything and start again from scratch, so it's a pretty desperate strategy. (I'm not sure of the legality- I don't think you're technically breaking the EULA, but I'm no lawyer). quote]
if i have all my information on an external drive and have installed windows on the main drive then its no problem if you reinstall it every month right also whats to stop me from installing vista on an externaldrive and then taking it with me to my friends computer and using a multiple os operating system to run it from there?

Back