Downgrade IE7 to IE6 in Vista Home Premium

carolm_626

I need to downgrade my IE on my brand-new Dell XPS M1330 laptop because the company I am working with does not support IE7 as a standard, and most in-house apps do not work on IE7

Sadly, IE7 is an integral part o f Vista and I cannot simply unistall by using the standard method. Does anyone know how to do this?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not possible. Look at this thread here to see what I mean. I think IE7 has a backward compatibility mode to some point, but the company's webiste at this point should work with it. IE7 is nearly 3 years old now. You might want to consider dual-booting with an earlier version of Windows.

Bah!

I was afraid of that! Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess I could use VMWare and run a new partition - The pain... the pain

Soon it'll be wanting to run IE7 when IE8 final is released and more sites can't be accessed until they get updated to yet again the latest standards. Gotta love the pain MS puts us through.

Justin, I don't know if you've had a chance to look at IE8 yet, but there's this really nice button next to the "Go" that will switch to the IE7 rendering engine instead of the IE8 one for the site you're on... Unlike previous versions of IE, IE8 will ship with the full IE7 engine alongside the new IE8 one, and can switch between the two on-the-fly.

RE: COMPUTER' GURU's Reply

Justin, I don't know if you've had a chance to look at IE8 yet, but there's this really nice button next to the "Go" that will switch to the IE7 rendering engine instead of the IE8 one for the site you're on... Unlike previous versions of IE, IE8 will ship with the full IE7 engine alongside the new IE8 one, and can switch between the two on-the-fly.

That button is called "Emulate IE7".

Nothing to be Sorry about. Guru didnt make it clear that he was reffering to IE8Beta2. I know that is what he is cause i use it myself. :wink:

I just wanted to make ti clear cause Ie8Beta2 is actually very nice.

ok then. il give it a try. i have some issues with firefox somedays, then i have to use an alternate browser.
used to use Opera but the frequent updates were a bit frustrating.
use google chrome but ie8 beta 2 will be more than a welcome suggestion.
thank you once again.

Opera doesnt update that often. At least not the final versions. they have weekly Betas but you dont have to run those. :wink:

Back