[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

I'm having trouble locating "boot.ini" file :angry: searching, show invisible folders... nothing.. its not there.. :wtf:

Aren't I glad I didn't try this beta...!

It actually wasnt all that bad. I really think this is a Alpha build more than a Beta though.:tongueout:

I actually thought it worked well. I am downloading new Vista ISO's right now. 1 without SP1 and 1 with SP1 so that i can install and test this and iReboot out.:brows:

Sounds like she knew what she was talking about, eh? May she rest in peace..

Question: for those of you that tried it, when you got the invalid boot.ini message, did you also see the text "NTDETECT failed" ?

thanks.

Did you uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" also?

Oh yeah, that was it, but after unchecking that, still boot.ini wasn't there.

Question: for those of you that tried it, when you got the invalid boot.ini message, did you also see the text "NTDETECT failed" ?

thanks.

Hmmm now I'm trying to remember, I think I saw something like that, but its only in my imagination :lup: I'm not sure at all. Sorry, this doesn't sound very helpful.. Mak! Can you remember? :grinning:

---
Okay, I think I should create boot.ini and put it in XP partition only, right?

No, put it in the boot drive (that's the one with BOOTMGR and the BOOT folder).

Anyway, I think I found the problem. If XP is on a different physical drive, I need to map the XP drive to be the first:
Code:
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

Testing it now in a VM, will keep you all posted :smile:

Addendum:

Confirmed: the above fixes the problem with the invalid boot.ini thing.
Expect a new build {soon} that implements this + adds the finishing touches screen.

Last edited:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Guuuuuuys!!!! Boot files were NOT on Vista or XP partitions! :S:S:S They were totally on some other partition! Damn.. thats why I couldn't find them :|

In that same partition I found and boot.ini.hns :grinning: I'm so HAPPY! :happy:

That isnt necessarily true. It should be on your boot drive. Not all the time is that your XP drive. For a while i had it as my Vista drive. :wink:

Back