Dual Boot: 2 many Disc tools, 2 little time --ugh!

Ok I really don't know where to start anymore. I think I might have to reinstall everything from scratch which is almost impossible.

Gateway Core 2 Duo [made in March 2007] 2 gigs of ram Laptop has (1) hard drive in it:
Originally it had Recovery on Partition 1 (the very 1st spot ) And labled Drive D:
The C: drive which has the crappy work installed XP Pro. Is on Partition 2 ( which can attach itself to the Windows Server Network at work has a domain. 250 gig drive

I re-partitioned the drive C easily (done this a lot of times before, I doubt I screwed this up) and made space to install Vista64 Service Pack 2 BETA (which by the way works awesome compared to the orginal Vista64 --no service pack) and that went fine.

I put the Vista install disk and isntalled Vista 64 in the last partition ( 3?) I just made and it called itself Drive C:

Ok so now I bootup and something is booting up (if i were to guess I would say its the vista bootloader) gives me a screen saying the (2) choices. Windows XP first choice on the list or the Vista second choice. So I pick the XP to see that its still in tact and I get an error saying it can not find the /ntldr. I pick Vista and it boots into Vista just fine and it indeed is calling itself drive C:

This is where I got lost here. I installed the EasyBCD and I believe I clearly did not know what I was doing because its a mess everytime I try to modify something. The only thing that saves me each time I make a mistake is inserting the Vista Disc and hitting REPAIR.

I have read posts and posts and posts here and the links to sites that explain this but somewhere I missing something key here to make all this work and play nice together.

Ok some questions:
1.) Does any of this matter on what partition order you have? In another words in my case Gateway has the recovery as being the beginning first partition..partition 0 or the 1st part.
Is this part of my problem here perhaps that the utilities are trying to put things on this very first top partition?
2.) Is there any preferred order of all this. Put Vista on Partition 0 and XP on next partition 1 and then the recovery last on partition 2? OR is it better to have XP on the first partition and Vista following it? Does any of this make any difference whatsover with the utility tools people use or I need to be careful if I do it one or the other?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.) There is a program called Partition Commander 10 Professional. If you boot off the CD rom there is a utility that allows you to change the BOOT CORRECTOR. I was trying different things with this to try to get it to boot as well so I am wondering if this needs to be done as well. What I was doing bascially is this. It asks you what Windows installation you would like to correct. I can pick the XP or the Vista one and there is an area where is says: CORRECT DRIVE LETTERS IN SYSTEM REGISTRY. Ok well common sense told me that I should try changing this around perhaps and experimenting with what makes most sense. In the XP installation I guessed that I should tell the 2nd partition which has XP on in that it should DRIVE C: and recovery partition 1 drive D: and the Vista Drive the 3rd and last partition, drive E: I save it and go on to the Vista windows installation to correct the drives there.

But here I tell the Vista installation drive letters to be C: for Vista and the XP D: and recovery E: save it and now what to do next I wonder.

4.) What partition do I call and make the active drive? I can make both partitons active using this utility. So I am lost on what to do there. Currently it appears to me if I make VISTA the active partition that it will not load the Vista bootloader. It also does not load the XP.
If I make the XP partition ACTIVE then it seems to what I can see loads the Vista boot menu and allows entry only into Vista.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
5.) Someone was saying my problem was I needed to copy the (3) files over, ntldr, boot.ini and i forget the other one ntcommand.com something. So first question is. Do i delete these filed from the XP root directory or keep them there? Currently they are both partitions in the root dir of XP and Vista.
6.) Do i need to edit any of these files? I am thinking I have to tell one of these files that the boot stuff is on the 3rd Partition right?

---------------------
7.) Ok well here is my easyBCD printout:
The thing i find most curious is that the device says UNKNOWN? Is all this a mess because I am using Vista 64 on one end and XP 32 bit on the other?
8.) HOw do i EDIT the device and what shall I tell it to say?

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device unknown
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {ntldr}
{current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 10
resume No

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device unknown
path \ntldr
description XP

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device unknown
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
osdevice unknown
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {706cc97b-daa4-11dd-91bc-806e6f6e6963}

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok well sorry for being too wordy. I just wanted to give you some background and it was probably overkill but at least you can sort of see whats up.
Thanks for any help. I really need to get my WORK laptop back working before I get in trouble with the boss.

Addendum:

SORRY! Something I left out. When booting the XP selection in the Menu this is what I get for error:

Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So is this something I have to address 1st here? What do I do from here? I never heard anyone talk about hal in the forum posts with this problems. (Only place I heard of it is when they started to remove all the memory chips from HAL in Space Odessey 2000.)

Addendum:

Well I guess you know you are really in trouble when (11) people READ your post and no one replies. Oh boy...woe is me. LOL :smile: Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??? Anyone see Ferris?

Addendum:

Ok some UPDATES HERE to add to my post here:

Cool Discovery Number #1
Let it be known, and I might of been really saved by this--who knows. I managed to restore an old backup of the XP drive I had before I messed with all this of Dual booting. So...I NOW have the old copy of the (3) boot files if needed. I burnt them to a CD and copied them to my XP ROOT directory thinking hey this really would not HURT things anymore then I already did.

Cool Discovery Number #2
Interesting enough I saw something else I should RED FLAG who ever wants to help here.
The bootmgr was located in the XP ROOT directory and there was NO bootmgr in the old backup copy root directory of the XP...so when I installed Vista it must of put the bootmgr in the wrong directory?
Or is this not a problem.

Ok thats all the late and breaking NEWS here.
I REALLY APPRECIATE all of you helping and reading and contributing!
Thanks!

Addendum:

Another Update here.....I am trying my BEST!
Ok well I discovered that removing the bootmgr and putting in the Vista directory made the vista boot up screen non-functional.

I get the same common error:

So I was forced by geeky bandits at squirt gun point to do the Vista Repair Disk routine.
Interesting TID BIT here I noticed it recovered the Vista to Letter Drive E:
Why it says drive E: I am puzzled at. I was thinking oh no again, it switched drive letter on me, but thought what the heck, I will let it reboot and see what happens. It failed again but this time with a Repair Disk I hit the Start up and repair option and it restored my bootmgr to the XP directory again.
So I am ASSUMING (without making a donkey out of u and me) that the bootmgr is ok to reside in the XP directory? Who knows. I pray for the "Computer Guru" to somehow save me soon.
Ok here is an updated BCD screen shot...I think I am better off now but who knows!
NOTICE below that both entries are labeled drive C: ------ perhaps this is a problem?

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 10 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: XP
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Thanks again for any comments or help along the way to you all. I really have to fix this today!

Addendum:

I left out a fact about the drive E: part when recovering the Vista boot. Even though it said it recovered it to drive E: on the bootup after the repair and bootmgr got restored it is showing its on drive C:
I just did not want people getting confused. It is showing its still on drive C: after bootup to Vista.
XP on a bootup is still getting same error. No luck.

Last edited:
1.) Does any of this matter on what partition order you have? In another words in my case Gateway has the recovery as being the beginning first partition..partition 0 or the 1st part.
Is this part of my problem here perhaps that the utilities are trying to put things on this very first top partition?
2.) Is there any preferred order of all this. Put Vista on Partition 0 and XP on next partition 1 and then the recovery last on partition 2? OR is it better to have XP on the first partition and Vista following it? Does any of this make any difference whatsover with the utility tools people use or I need to be careful if I do it one or the other?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.) There is a program called Partition Commander 10 Professional. If you boot off the CD rom there is a utility that allows you to change the BOOT CORRECTOR. I was trying different things with this to try to get it to boot as well so I am wondering if this needs to be done as well. What I was doing bascially is this. It asks you what Windows installation you would like to correct. I can pick the XP or the Vista one and there is an area where is says: CORRECT DRIVE LETTERS IN SYSTEM REGISTRY. Ok well common sense told me that I should try changing this around perhaps and experimenting with what makes most sense. In the XP installation I guessed that I should tell the 2nd partition which has XP on in that it should DRIVE C: and recovery partition 1 drive D: and the Vista Drive the 3rd and last partition, drive E: I save it and go on to the Vista windows installation to correct the drives there.

But here I tell the Vista installation drive letters to be C: for Vista and the XP D: and recovery E: save it and now what to do next I wonder.

4.) What partition do I call and make the active drive? I can make both partitons active using this utility. So I am lost on what to do there. Currently it appears to me if I make VISTA the active partition that it will not load the Vista bootloader. It also does not load the XP.
If I make the XP partition ACTIVE then it seems to what I can see loads the Vista boot menu and allows entry only into Vista.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
5.) Someone was saying my problem was I needed to copy the (3) files over, ntldr, boot.ini and i forget the other one ntcommand.com something. So first question is. Do i delete these filed from the XP root directory or keep them there? Currently they are both partitions in the root dir of XP and Vista.
6.) Do i need to edit any of these files? I am thinking I have to tell one of these files that the boot stuff is on the 3rd Partition right?

1.) The partition order has no effect on whether it works or not...as long as the correct values are entered into your boot.ini file.
2.) The order of the partitions does not matter, as long as you have the correct rdisk (x) and partition (y) numbers in your boot.ini file. It will work fine as long as its pointing to your Vista partition.
3.) Forget Partition Commander for now, and use EasyBCD. Its better. :wink: If you need a partitioning tool, use either Gparted (which is on a Ubuntu LiveCD and is free), or use BING (which is the tool that i use, though it is a commercial product).
4.) If it doesn't load Vista, when the Vista partition is active, it must be because Vista is no longer in the MBR. If that is the case, then simply use the Recovery tool on the Vista install DVD (if you have one...if not, then you can use a recovery cd downloaded from the site here. I will have to find the link though, as i don't have it currently) to repair your Vista boot, and make it bootable again.
5.) You do indeed to copy over those 3 files (though it is NTDETECT.COM, not ntcommand:wink:)onto your Vista root, before you will see the XP entry created by EasyBCD work.
6.) You might have to edit your boot.ini file in order to see it work...don't know yet, because you need to post it first, so we can take a look at it.

Hope this helps! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Vista MBR seems to be the new path I am taking...

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Looks like I am indeed learning something here and growing a brain...it hurts but hey its growing.

Ok so I read everything you posted in reply twice and the only thing that rang as a direction to go is the MBR thing. So here are some questions:

I DO HAVE the Vista Install CD rom by the way. :grinning:

mbr q1. ) should the bootmgr be located in the Vista root directory and not the XP?
mbr q2. ) should I use the easyBCD edit to restore the Vista MBR? I do not see how to do that procedure.
mbr q3.) At what point do I switch the partition drives from XP to Vista ACTIVE. Currently the partition where the XP is on is marked the active drive. Do i change that immediatley before I do any repairs?
mbr q4.) AND I am assuming here I de-activate the XP drive. I don't know why they give you the option of having both active but I can have BOTH active.

Thanks,
Firebird
icon6.gif

SORRY! Something I left out. When booting the XP selection in the Menu this is what I get for error:

This "hal.dll" error in my case was due to a corrupted ntldr file. So i would suggest downloading it from Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki and replacing your current ntldr with the downloaded copy.

Also there is another possible reason its giving you that error, that the wiki describes.

Here's a quote from the wiki:
Hal.dll is missing or corrupt

Windows\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

This means the ARC paths in the [operating systems] section or the default entry in BOOT.INI is incorrect. Double-check that multi() and disk() are both set to 0, and verify that rdisk(x)partition(y) points to the correct partition where Windows XP is installed. Instructions on the correct configuration of boot.ini can be found here.
Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Looks like I am indeed learning something here and growing a brain...it hurts but hey its growing.

Ok so I read everything you posted in reply twice and the only thing that rang as a direction to go is the MBR thing. So here are some questions:

I DO HAVE the Vista Install CD rom by the way. :grinning:

mbr q1. ) should the bootmgr be located in the Vista root directory and not the XP?
mbr q2. ) should I use the easyBCD edit to restore the Vista MBR? I do not see how to do that procedure.
mbr q3.) At what point do I switch the partition drives from XP to Vista ACTIVE. Currently the partition where the XP is on is marked the active drive. Do i change that immediatley before I do any repairs?
mbr q4.) AND I am assuming here I de-activate the XP drive. I don't know why they give you the option of having both active but I can have BOTH active.

Thanks,
Firebird
icon6.gif

mbr q1.) Yes, the bootmgr should be located in the Vista root directory, and not in your XP root...this is essential to Vista booting correctly. Unless of course you also happen to have a working Vista BCD on your XP partition as well, in which case it would probably work. But i will assume you don't, since it didn't work...
mbr q2.) Yes, you can use EasyBCD to reinstate Vista in the MBR. For a detailed proceedure, see Recovering the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
mbr q3.) Assuming that EasyBCD is on your Vista partition, you will need to be booted in Vista, before using EasyBCD for the repairs! :lol: And so you will to have your Vista partition marked as "active" instead of your XP partition.
mbr q4.) The XP and Vista partitions can not be both active at the same time...it is only possible for one partition to be active at a certain point in time. :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Updated the Vista MBR in EasyBCD

Ok well that changed the files around a little bit.
I went into the EasyBCD and updated the MBR for the Vista Bootloader.
Now the system booted straight into Vista. Did not give the XP choice at all.

So now I am trying to add the entry in the EasyBCD for it to boot up XP.
Do you know how to do that part? I am winging it trying different things but can not get XP to work. I am confused on telling it what drive to go too. I was guessing drive D: because thats how Vista and EasyBCD sees it as? I don't know what to do here. I added the below with some FOOT NOTES

Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.

Entry #1

Entry #2

Name: XP Pro
BCD ID: {16c87e46-da92-11dd-a0d9-e7cbeae4dd38}
Drive: D:\ <--- :tongueout: Select choices: C: or D: or E: or BOOT [C and D did not work so far]
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe <--- :wtf: I am thinking this is my error

Addendum:

An update where things are at:
Vista drive (3rd partition) is ACTIVE and no other drives are marked active

Bootmgr is now deleted from XP root.
New Bootmgr is located in Vista root
icon11.gif

Addendum:

How do you edit the Bootloader Entry #2 so I can change the bootloader path?
I am thinking I should change it to read : \ntldr ????

Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe <--- :wtf: I am thinking this is my error

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't here earlier to advise Firebird.
Please have a read of the wiki about dual booting XP with Vista, with special reference to the Troubleshooting section which explains any error you might see (and how to fix it)
It looks like in your attempts to fix things you added an XP entry, misdescribing it (wrong dropdown selection) as a Longhorn (Vista) system.
Delete that entry and add it again with the XP dropdown. Remember you're pointing it to the "system" "active" partition (where to find the boot files) not to the XP system. (It should "grey" the option to prevent you getting it wrong)

Addendum:

FYI
MS flags
"boot" = the partition containing the system you're on now (the running OS) not the boot files.
"system" = the partition containing the boot files (what Linux (and anyone who understands English calls the boot partition, but not MS for some reason)
"active" = the "system" partition (if there's more than one) to go to first.

In an all Windows environment there will only be one "system" partition (but Linux or OS2 or OSX can also create their own)

So you see that you shouldn't go altering the "active" flag yourself. It's telling the IPL program in the MBR where to find the "system" disk. If you point it somewhere else the PC probably wont boot.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response

Quite a bit of material to read here and I am having trouble understanding it all because I think you are correct, they use terms like boot and parition and other terms so "loosely" that you seem to lose ORDER in what should happen step by step. It is never as easy as step by step methods. I look for the common sense in this and I find its flawed.

Anyways. Ok I am learning as I go here.
I seem to be making some positives steps in the right direction. The XP still eludes me on why its coming up with same HAL.DLL error.

I replaced the HAL.DLL file from the known good XP backup drive and that just messed up everything beyond belief with the Bootloader on Vista. I have no idea why.

So I started over with building a Bootloader in EasyBCD.
I think the XP problem is that its not finding the MBR and/or other things.
I was looking for away to restore the MBR to XP partition in EasyBCD but could not find it.

I guess I am a little confused on this MBR thing. Do you have to have BOTH MBR's set on each partition for it to play nice? In another words I restore the Vista MBR and then somehow restore the XP MBR next without upsetting the Vista MBR. I need some explanation there or a link to read.

Sorry! I am trying my hardest here. Been on this non-stop for over 11 hours now.

Thanks for any quick replies. Time is running out for me.
icon9.gif

Yeah, like Terry said, remove the "XP Pro" entry you have now, and create a new one...this time making sure to select the "Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3" in the drop-down menu, instead of Vista/Longhorn. The entry for XP will use the XP boot files on the Vista partition, not the ones on the XP partition. This should work...if it doesn't, then you may have another problem. :smile: But first try what was already suggested! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
The HAL error is "missing or corrupt". You don't have to replace it.
Read the troubleshooter link I gave you. The reason it's "missing" is because you're looking in the wrong place, i.e. your boot.ini file needs editing to point to the correct rdisk/partition combination for the XP partition. Since you have only one HDD, rdisk will stay at (0) but partition(x) should be altered to point to the XP partition.
There is only one MBR on a HDD (hence the M for master). It occupies the first few blocks on the disk and is effectively partition(0) (hence why MS starts counting partitions at 1 I think) though it's never seen as a partition. The MBR contains an Initial Program Loader (IPL) which looks for bootmgr on the "active" "system" partition (if its Vista's IPL) or for NTLDR (if it's XP's IPL)
That's why you have to repair the MBR after installing XP.
It puts XP's IPL there (which can't boot Vista) and you need to do the Vista repair to put Vista's IPL back (which can boot XP by chaining to NTLDR via bootmgr)
Have a read of this to understand how it all works

Take a deep breath, get yourself a cup of coffee and have a good slow read of the wiki before you jump in, experimenting .
This is actually a very easy thing to do, dual-booting Vista and XP, and most problems that take us more than 10 minutes to fix are because several "things" were tried before posting, that need to be understood and unravelled before the one simple necessary step can be taken.

Last edited:
Have a read of this to understand how it all works

Does he really have time for this? :wink: Sounds to me like he's pressed for time, and wants to get it fixed as quickly as possible...

I think his problem is, he simply needs to create a new entry for XP in EasyBCD, this time making sure to select the right type, i.e. XP instead of Vista/Longhorn. Since he said he already copied over the XP files into Vista, i think all he needs to do now is find the correct partition value to enter in his boot.ini file in Vista, to make it work. I will look back over his previous posts, to try to figure out which one that would be...:wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Never mind...:S i thought he had said he had copied over the XP files into Vista, but it appears as if he has not done this yet. So obviously, he will first have to copy over "boot.ini", "ntldr", and "NTDETECT.COM" from XP onto his Vista root, before he edits the boot.ini file...:wink:

Last edited:
Light reading for later maybe.
Look after him for me Cool. Make sure he gets his boot.ini straight.
It's 3:20 am here now, and I need my beauty sleep.

Light reading for later maybe.
Look after him for me Cool. Make sure he gets his boot.ini straight.
It's 3:20 am here now, and I need my beauty sleep.

No problem. I'll see him through...go get your beauty sleep. :smile: You earned it.

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Bootloader Timeout: 10 seconds.

Entry #1

Entry #2

Name: XP
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

It seems to me you had it correct the first time, and then later deleted this entry, and created a different (and wrong) one, using the Vista/Longhorn Type instead of the XP...:wink: At this point, you would have only had to copy over the XP boot files onto your Vista root, and edit your boot.ini (if necessary) to point to the correct partition that XP is installed on. But no point in crying over spilt milk...:smile:

At any rate, you will first need to (like mentioned already) copy over your XP boot files (namely, the boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT.COM files, which would be located on the XP root) onto your Vista root, and then paste here a copy of what your boot.ini file shows, so we can figure out if everything is correct. :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Interesting enough I saw something else I should RED FLAG who ever wants to help here.
The bootmgr was located in the XP ROOT directory and there was NO bootmgr in the old backup copy root directory of the XP...so when I installed Vista it must of put the bootmgr in the wrong directory?
Or is this not a problem.

I think the reason that Vista put its boot files onto your XP partition, instead of the Vista partition, is because you had the wrong partition set to active. I believe you had the XP partition set to active, which caused the Vista repair to write to the XP partition instead of the Vista partition...:wink:

Also, i think it likely that the reason you got that "hal.dll" error at first, was because you copied over "bootmgr" onto your Vista root, instead of your \Windows\System32 folder, which is where its supposed to go...:wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
I talked to my boss late tonight

I want to thank you both for contributing to my posts and trying to help me out.
I just wish I had more time to comprehend and apply what I learned tonight but I am wiped. Some very good points made by both of you, I think next time I will take it slower and know what I am doing first by reading those links on the various subject matter.

I will give you an update when I get another chance at it. For now I just talked to my boss being honesty is the best policy. I now have another few days before I need to talk to him again if I can not get XP to boot. I guess it helps having a strict boss be nice for the new year.

The obvious is I will just delete the Vista partition and try to get the XP running again if I can't make it work. But will try once again tomorrow. Thanks again and sorry I had a delay of a few hours but I got detained. I mostly want to learn how to do this as education and of course just in case I want to do this again.

More on how I do tomorrow!
icon11.gif

I want to thank you both for contributing to my posts and trying to help me out.
I just wish I had more time to comprehend and apply what I learned tonight but I am wiped. Some very good points made by both of you, I think next time I will take it slower and know what I am doing first by reading those links on the various subject matter.

I will give you an update when I get another chance at it. For now I just talked to my boss being honesty is the best policy. I now have another few days before I need to talk to him again if I can not get XP to boot. I guess it helps having a strict boss be nice for the new year.

The obvious is I will just delete the Vista partition and try to get the XP running again if I can't make it work. But will try once again tomorrow. Thanks again and sorry I had a delay of a few hours but I got detained. I mostly want to learn how to do this as education and of course just in case I want to do this again.

More on how I do tomorrow!
icon11.gif

Hold on. :tongueout:oint: Your problem is nearly solved! :smile: So don't give up now...:wink:
I think you just need to copy your XP boot files over into your Vista root, and then post your boot.ini file, and we can fix this TONIGHT! :brows:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Damn! :frowning: I think he missed my post...

Now's he offline, and most likely wont be back until tomorrow. Too bad too, since his problem was almost solved...

Well, i guess that means then, i'm off to bed as well. :wink:

Cheers to all! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back