Dual boot adding XP to Vista laptop

jlvetor123

In Vista I shrank the C: drive then installed XP and other needed programs to install EasyBCD.

I went to BCD Deployment tab, Partition showed Partition 1 (C:\ as NTFS - 94 Gig).
Down arrow showed a partition 2 as E:\ 8 Gig and Partition 3 as G: NTFS - 47 Gig which is where I installed XP.

I left it showing Partition 1 and Install the windows Vista/7 bootloader to MBR selected then Clicked on the Write MBR button.

I then clicked on Add new entry and at Type window I selected Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 and left name as Microsoft Windows XP and checked Automatically detect correct drive. I then clicked on Add Entry and received the following Error:

An error occurred while attempting the specified create operation. System could not allocate the required space in a registry log.

When I clicked on View settings I still only had one drive the C: drive Vista in the boot loader. Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong? Thank you.

I just rebooted my system and as it booted up I only had Vista listed and was able to boot into Vista. Now to get it straightened out so I have both listed.

Addendum

I don't know if this will help anyone else so instead of deleting my original post I will update it with a reply. While in Vista I went through the EasyBCD as I did for Vista while in XP and changed the setting for my XP installation. When I rebooted I had both installations listed and it is now booting between both with no problems so even though I don't know what the heck I'm doing it is working. So the problem is solved for now.

Last edited:
Back