Dual Boot Error 17

CCat

I am brand new to linux so please bear with me if I dont understand some things.

I have Vista HP x64 installed on my C drive.
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64 on my E drive.

The first time I installed Ubuntu I forgot to put grub into the partition.
I went back into Vista and deleted the volume. I then installed it again putting grub in the partition.
I set up Easy BCD with neogrub.
So far Vista loads normally on boot. If I pick Linux I get 3 options Generic, Safe, and Memtest.
If I pick either Generic or Safe I get the error 17 file not found.
If I change the HDD order in the bios, Ubuntu starts and runs fine.
My Menu.lst :

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
uuid 968e0253-be6f-478b-a005-913fee08a9ea
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=968e0253-be6f-478b-a005-913fee08a9ea ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=968e0253-be6f-478b-a005-913fee08a9ea ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

I followed the instructions found here
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Any help getting thsi straightened out will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to NST! Since you are trying to dual boot across two drives this will be easy to follow. The steps for seeing 8.10 added into the Vista boot loader and seeing it load up when selected seem to require a few things.

1)Partitioning of the second drive can easily be done with a 3rd party tool other then the limited form of GParted included in the live cd's installer there. GParted live for cd is a free Linux drive tool you can use for Windows as well as Linux available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

2)You won't need a swap partition for a distro like ubuntu, Knoppix, Zenwalk, and other small releases while the server types are usually requiring a good 2gb or larger for virtual memory. For the 8.10 release you simply create the main root/system partition. While installing select the manual option for partitioning in order to edit the root and make that the "/" mount point not "/boot" from the dropdown list.

3)Once the installation is finished and since the NeoGrub is already installed you need to select the drive/partition where the root is located and choose how you want the entry named. Make sure to check off the "Grub isn't installed into bootsector" box before clicking the add entry button.

The three main steps are done without fuss and any manual edits of Grub since everything was done by a graphical interface.

Get rid of uuid lines in your entries and replace them with "root (hdx,y)" ones. X refers to disk and y refers to partition. I'm going to assume here that you only have two disks in the system, so x should be 1 (2nd disk). Change the x and y in "root (hdx,y)" in your entries until you get the correct disk/partition.

I never had to edit anything to see ubuntu load right up here. This is why you are running into problems instead of allowing that part to be done automatically.

True, autos much better.

Go to the neogrub tab and uninstall neogrub, delete the entry, and than add a new one. Make sure the menu.lst file in your nst directory is relocated to prevent any conflicts and than reboot and test.

Originally I did let the software do an automatic install and setup.
That didnt work.
I tried the edits they didnt work either.
Can the loader be reset in some way?

I am brand new to linux so please bear with me if I dont understand some things.

I have Vista HP x64 installed on my C drive.
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64 on my E drive.

The first time I installed Ubuntu I forgot to put grub into the partition.
I went back into Vista and deleted the volume. I then installed it again putting grub in the partition.
I set up Easy BCD with neogrub.
So far Vista loads normally on boot. If I pick Linux I get 3 options Generic, Safe, and Memtest.
If I pick either Generic or Safe I get the error 17 file not found.
If I change the HDD order in the bios, Ubuntu starts and runs fine.

Read Sub-step #4 (How to recover from an error 17) in my tri-booting tutorial...:wink:
How-to: triboot with BootIT NG (BING) - The NeoSmart Forums

That error message is due to your Ubuntu menu.lst not configured right! Remember, your Ubuntu menu.lst (which is located on your Ubuntu partition), and your NeoGrub menu.lst (which will most probably be located on your Vista primary) are two different things! :smile:

Hope this helps!

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Originally I did let the software do an automatic install and setup.
That didnt work.
I tried the edits they didnt work either.
Can the loader be reset in some way?

Try it again, this time making sure to check the box called "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector" under the Linux tab. This will install a NeoGrub which does not use a NeoGrub menu.lst, and instead uses your Ubuntu menu.lst! But of course, if that one is not configured right, you will still get the error 17...:wink:

Hope this helps! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Make sure you uninstall neogrub first though
Otherwise it'll think you want to use the manual configuration.

Back