Dual Boot Help - 7 + OSX

Jtrx11

Hey all,

Hoping to get my dual boot set up, just need a bit of help. I have two HDs, one has Win7 installed and running perfectly. The second is comprised of two partitions, one is empty storage space and the other an existing OSX 10.5.8 installation. I have not been able to get into the OSX installation and have tried many different set ups in BCD 2.0 Beta (I get the "Grub" screen on each attempt). Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong here? Have I provided enough information?

** Please see attachment - a screen shot of my Disk Management in 7. The OSX partition is the 39 GB partition on Disk0. Does it matter that it is not the first partition on the drive?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• diskmanagement.JPG
    diskmanagement.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 41
I had a similar problem up until just a couple of hours ago.

In EasyBCD 2.0, when adding the entry for Mac, I selected the MBR mode and saved the settings. This should add an entry into your pc: C:\NST\nst_mac.mbr by default.

When I rebooted and selected Mac OS X, it gave me an error screen and basically said that the file AutoNeoGrub0.mbr was either missing or corrupt. So I went back into the C: drive and changed the file name of nst_mac.mbr to AutoNeoGrub0.mbr. After that, I was able to boot in. If you do get this error screen, please note the file name. You should change the nst_mac.mbr file to whatever file name was listed.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, the only other thing I have that you don't is that I installed MacDrive so that Windows will be able to recognize the Mac partition. In Disk Management, I was then able to assign a drive letter to it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Glad to be of help! Seems like a very simple solution. Not sure why this hasn't been posted anywhere else. God knows I searched for a very long time!

I had a similar problem up until just a couple of hours ago.

In EasyBCD 2.0, when adding the entry for Mac, I selected the MBR mode and saved the settings. This should add an entry into your pc: C:\NST\nst_mac.mbr by default.

When I rebooted and selected Mac OS X, it gave me an error screen and basically said that the file AutoNeoGrub0.mbr was either missing or corrupt. So I went back into the C: drive and changed the file name of nst_mac.mbr to AutoNeoGrub0.mbr. After that, I was able to boot in. If you do get this error screen, please note the file name. You should change the nst_mac.mbr file to whatever file name was listed.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, the only other thing I have that you don't is that I installed MacDrive so that Windows will be able to recognize the Mac partition. In Disk Management, I was then able to assign a drive letter to it.

Good luck.

Can I ask you to clarify please - where did you edit nst_mac.mbr to AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

I'm in the same position and struggling

Tony

After you add the entry for OS X, but only if the filename doesn't match up with where the entry is pointing.

Hi Tony,

The EFI OS X entry didn't work for me back in December when I was using build 76. The current version is build 93 and perhaps the EFI OS X entry does work now. So you may want to try the method in the previous post first. If it still doesn't work, then delete the EFI OS X entry and add an MBR entry instead.

Anyhow, to answer your initial question, if you do end up adding the MBR entry, it will be saved in the following directory: C:\NST\

... and the file name is: nst_mac.mbr

You don't need to edit the nst_mac.mbr file. You just need to rename it to whatever file name you see listed in the error message when you are booting up the Mac OS.

Hope this helps. Let us know which method worked for you.

Last edited:
Hi soulcrusher, nice of you to drop by.

We've fixed a *huge* number of bugs since December in Easy2, and we've rewritten the way the EFI support workes in EasyBCD 2.0 as well. Give it a shot if you like in addition to your existing entry - hope it works.

Back