Dual Boot into partition folders and NeoGrub Help

abcat

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I am curious to know whether can I dual boot another OS (Ubuntu) into a Folder instead of another partition or hard disk?

My current setup:

Partition 1 : Windows Vista
Partition 2 : Windows XP
Partition 3: Files
Inside this Files partition, I create 1 folder call Ubuntu and then can I load the OS from there? Since Neogrub have the features of finding some name path to locate the boot manager.

If that is possible, what are the pros and cons?

I am using EasyBCD Neogrub manager now, as there are many commands I am not too familar with. In addition, I need to know whether is there any command that I can update my script with an entry to boot into CD/DVD Rom instead of going to BIOS change, also , can neogrub support booting from external usb devices?

I wonder is this an appropriate place for me to ask question regarding Neogrub? If not maybe someone can redirect me to another link?

Thanks, that seems cool :smile: But is this work like Virtual PC OS that run on Windows or can I associated this Ubuntu with my Neogrub boot loader?

You can use this it install Ubuntu and dual boot. At least as far as i know. That is what everyone tells me. They use Wubi to install Ubuntu and duall boot as if it was isntalled on a partition. Whis will be included in Ubuntu 8 as well.

oh ok, I will try out soon, thanks anyway.

Also, my 2nd question regarding Neogrub, anyone can answer?

I am using EasyBCD Neogrub manager now, as there are many commands I am not too familar with. In addition, I need to know whether is there any command that I can update my script with an entry to boot into CD/DVD Rom instead of going to BIOS change, also , can neogrub support booting from external usb devices?

I wonder is this an appropriate place for me to ask question regarding Neogrub? If not maybe someone can redirect me to another link?

Addendum:

I am eager to try but I am using Windows Vista right now, I'm afrad that my neogrub boot manager will have problem detecting it.

If i'm not wrong and also follow the setup as per normal and if everything success, during the bootup, I will see neogrub loader, if I choose Vista, it will become Vista loader with Dual booting with Vista and Ubuntu.

But I'm afraid that something might goes wrong though the setup look easy. I wonder is there any guide for me to follow if I am using Neogrub boot manager.

Cheers

Last edited:
NeoSmart Technologies contributed the bootloader code to the Wubi project. You just run the Wubi installer, and it'll call the EasyBCD libraries itself (parts of them) to add an entry to Wubi to your bootloader.

NeoGrub can boot to removable devices. Booting from a CD-ROM:
Code:
rootnoverify (cd)
chainloader +1

You may need to try cd0, cd1, etc. I know it works for fd and fd0, and it *SHOULD* work for cd, too.

You don't need NeoGrub to boot into Wubi.

Wubi can't seems to use the ISO I download from Linux, so now is downloading the beta from other site using the installer.

Btw, the rootnoverify (cd) can't work for me, tried rootnoverify (cd,0) and other no as well but to no avail.

I have installed the wubi into my D: Partition and I can't seems to boot into Linux as it shows a black screen with 1 blinking cursor.

During boot up to computer, it go throught grub boot loader, and I select Windows Vista and it go straight to Windows Vista Boot Loader, I select Ubuntu and it just stuck there.

I wonder is this problem exists due to me having a gurb boot loader manager, should I add an entry into grub manager instead of letting ubuntu to list in the Windows Boot Manager. Also, my D: partition is not a primary partition, does it matters too?

Please advise :smile:

Yup, I saw the Ubuntu listed in the Vista bootloader after I selecting Windows Vista from my Grub Bootloader.

I try reinstall the ubuntu to my Windows Vista C: partition and now it come with different error. It go straight to another grub boot loader with 4 item for me to choose but I can't go in too :frowning: Wonder is it related to my existing grub loader.

Anyway my grub loader is use to dual boot with Vista and XP Os.

Finally I am able to boot into Ubuntu, but the booting time to Ubuntu seems longer than Vista. Is this normal? I am curious to know is it possible for me to use Neogrub to boot into wubi ubuntu?

Wubi's entry in the Vista bootloader is a NeoGrub entry.

Slow Ubuntu boot times are normal - Linux takes much longer to turn on than Windows since its boot process is not multi-threaded... but once it's on, it's faster.

oh, I open easybcd and see this:
Name: Ubuntu
BCD ID: {ce23a79d-06fd-11dd-9841-001636d8eff9}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr

so can I just copy the \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr to add into the grub entry and will it boot fine? maybe I gonna give it a try.

Its glad to hear the slow boot times are normal and agree that once it load inside, its perform faster.

Addendum:

Ok, just tested the above code and it works for me. I'm so glad to Ubuntu is a great linux OS that can detect most of my hardware and also the user friendliness.

Last edited:
Back