Dual boot NTDETECT.COM failed

Hi everyone,

So here's my problem.
I have two partitions, C: and E:.

1. I did a clean install of XP on drive E:
2. I did a clean install of Win 7 on drive C:
3. I installed EasyBCD 2.0.2 on Win 7
4. I've added a new entry, Windows XP, with "Automatically detect drive" ticked (also tried it with selecting drive E:, it worked in the past).
5. In the Bootloader setup, I've installed the Vista/Win7 bootloader to MBR (I tried it without it too)
6. Saved everything.
7. Rebooted PC, chose XP and got "NTDETECT failed", Win 7 works fine.

I've done these steps like a hundred times, but somehow today it's not working. I'm running out of options.

To make sure: You do NOT modify anything related to the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD after creating it? Say, change the letter to point to the XP partition, maybe?

To make sure: You do NOT modify anything related to the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD after creating it? Say, change the letter to point to the XP partition, maybe?

I tried it with and without ""Automatically detect drive", but same error, nothing else was changed. A friend of mine told me, that Windows 7 should automatically create a bootmenu, if it detects another operating system, but it never happened to me.

UPDATE:
It seems it's a bug in 2.0.2. I just installed 2.0.3 beta and now it works. Who knows why? However when I shutdown XP, it hangs (only the background can be seen, maybe it's not EasyBCD's fault).

Last edited:
Back