Dual boot of Win/7 and XP cycles back to boot

MJMathews

I am setting up a system with Win/7 on the first disk drive (C) and Win/XP on the second drive (D). I used Macrium Reflect 4.2.2952 to create an image of XP from another system I own.
I restored this image to the second drive, but did not allow it to install the MBR in the image backup. I used EasyBCD to add a new entry to the bootloader, verified that NTLDR was in the NST folder on C, verified that NTDETECT and BOOT.INI were in the root of Win/7.
The bootup proceeds through asking me to choose an OS (Win/7 or Win/XP). When I choose Win/7 it boots fine. When I choose Win/XP it goes through to the XP startup screen, but then drops back into a reboot - it will cycle like this each time I choose XP, but will come out of it when I choose Win/7.
There are also copies of NTLDR, NTDETECT and BOOT.INI on drive D that were on the image I restored, but I have tried booting without them being present and the same happens.
I have also tried adding these files to the BOOT folder on C that Win/7 uses.
Is this happening because I didn't include the MBR from the XP backup image in the restore? I would have thought that by the time the XP startup screen shows the MBR is no longer a factor.
Any ideas as to what is (not) happening?

MJMathews

You can't just boot a copy of XP from one PC on a different one. The install process customizes the OS to the specific hardware of the original, and it's very unlikely to get far into the boot on another PC before hitting irreconcilable differences between the installed driver set and the new h/w.
At the very least, you're likely to need a "repair install", and if the installation CD is new enough to contain the necessary drivers for the new h/w (SP2 needed for SATA support), once the install completes it will need to be activated again.
If the XP is a full retail version, validating the reinstall on your new PC will invalidate the previous copy.
The EULA prohibits use on two PCs.
If the original XP came pre-installed on the other PC, it will be an OEM serial number and the EULA prohibits the use on any other h/w at all, ever. MS will not validate your attempt at activation.

Last edited:
Back