Dual boot option in win 8 does not always work with easy bcd installed

Hi there. I have installed and configured EasyBCD on both my C Drive and D Drive. I have configured EasyBCD to make my C drive the first boot option and the D rive to be the second. Sometimes no matter which drive I am in if I switch off my PC when it reboots it will not show me the different boot up menu choices and it will automatically reboot back into the D drive. This problem does not always happen, but seems to be happening more and more often. Any advice please?Regards Dave My system is win 8 on both drives.

If you have "fast boot enabled" in your power options, then you are not really shutting down or rebooting your PC.
W8 uses a pseudo-boot process which is actually a form of hibernation, and so it restarts into the previously used OS.
Turn off that option if you wish to ensure a "real" shutdown and a menu choice at boot.

Hi Terry...Many thanks for your solution, I have turned off both "fast boot enabled" options on my C and D drive and it seems to work fine. I have also" turned "wait for user in both easy BCD options on my C and D drive, is this important? Please advise. Many thanks Dave the very newbie.

Wait for user is just a very large timeout number afaik, so the effect is to have no default OS but to wait indefinitely for the user to choose an OS.
Leave it like that if that's the way you want your PC to boot.
I prefer a small timeout, and Windows 7 set as my default. That way I just turn on the PC and go away to make a pot of tea, and when I return with a steaming mug, W7 desktop is up and ready.
On those few occasions when I want XP, Vista or W8, I just need to hang around a few seconds longer to change the OS choice before making the tea.

Hi there.....I understand what you are saying about the very very long time that the choice of OS is shown on the screen. I note that you mention one of your OS is win 7, is there any reason that maybe I should put win back 7 on my D Drive instead of my current win 8? I like win 8, I don't have a touch screen, but after a few weeks of exploring I really like it, apart from in the icon screen mode ie explorer 10 and the e mail prog is full screen and you have no options to alter these settings, but then I just go back to the old fashioned desktop screen. Regards Dave

One of the primary uses of my PC is an HDMI connection to the Home Cinema TV, and Windows Media Center enhanced with Media Browser and My Channel Logos, fed with metadata from Media Center Master to provide a great, remotely viewable media library of several Tb.
It all works beautifully in W7.
W8 has bundled WMC as a separate entity for extra cash (free at the moment if you hurry), and in the process have beefed up the "security" to the point where most of the useful plugins don't work and you're stuck with the useless vanilla WMC experience.
I hate the whole Metro/Modern GUI imposition which is totally unsuited to anything bigger than a 3" phone screen, and though I've customized it back to an almost-W7 appearance by 3rd party hacks and switching the default file associations back to resize-able desktop apps instead of the ridiculous fullscreen defaults which make a mockery of the plural Window(s) trademark, I'm afraid the WMC situation is the killer app (in the bad, not the usual good sense).
I have no incentive to switch defaults to a new OS which, for me, is a step (no, several steps) backwards in usability.
I was one of the first of the early adopters in switching from Vista to W7, but that's what I expect from an upgrade; an improvement over its predecessor. To me, any minor improvements in W8 are mightily outweighed by its disadvantages, and it'll probably be the day that W7 reaches EOL that I'll switch, although by then I'm hoping that MS will have learned an expensive lesson from W8, and W9 will have come along and restored some sanity for desktop PCs with plenty of monitor real estate to spare.

Last edited:
Fair comment Terry. For me I just like seeing what is new and how it works. For me XP was the best, but I do not have many multimedia needs if i want to use any multimedia formats i either use my PS3, OR MY HD BLUE RAY PLAYER OR USB STICK IN MY HD TELLY.

Back