Dual boot problem Windows 7 and XP

Sorry for the delay! Tried to boot quickly. I get the option to choose between XP or WIndows 7, but when I choose XP, the screen just goes black, and just hangs there.
Thank you so much for your help so far!!!

Alright...time to move on to Step #2! :brows: Please post what the "View Settings" section of EasyBCD shows. :wink:

-Coolname007

Entry#1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {ca6354ca-e669-11dd-b9fc-azcd37da4db1}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Entry#1
Windows directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {ca6354ca-e669-11dd-b9fc-azcd37da4db1}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Ok...so that tells me that the Win XP entry is pointing at the correct partition, or at least according to the comment by you that C:\ is the "system" partition. :wink: Alright...just to verify things, could you please post a screenshot of your Disk Management window? To take a screenshot, push the Prnt Scrn button, which should be at the upper right of your keyboard, and then simply paste (ctrl + v) the screenshot into the Paint application, which can be found at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint, and then save that file as a jpeg image...and then upload it in your next post.

-Coolname007

EDIT: And another thing...where exactly did you copy the 3 XP boot files to?...

Last edited:
Sorry again, how do I upload the picture?

Addendum:

O, I copied it to the root folder in C. As per your instructions.

Last edited:
Sorry again, how do I upload the picture?

You hit the button at the top of this thread that says "Post reply", and then scroll down to where it says "Additional Options", click on the button that says "Manage Attachments", and in the dialog box that pops up when you click that, under the line that says "Upload files from your computer", click "Browse" and navigate to the location you saved the screenshot to, and then once selecting it, push the "Upload" button, and then once its done uploading close that window (not your main browser window...), and click the "Submit" button. :smile: Did you catch all that? :brows:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Addendum:

O, I copied it to the root folder in C. As per your instructions.

Alright...good. :smile: Just checking.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Ok...everything looks good so far. :smile:
So now please post the contents of your boot.ini file, located at C:/boot.ini, so we can figure out if everything's configured correctly, though its strange that you're not getting any kind of errors when trying to boot into XP...:wtf:

Are you sure your BIOS even supports booting from external hard drives? :wink:

-Coolname007

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It is not external hard drives though!

Addendum:

Thanks for all your help Coolname007, I got it to work. I just changed rdisk(0) to rdisk(1), and removed the noexecute=optin.
Now it dual boots great!

Regards,
pdr

Last edited:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It is not external hard drives though!

Addendum:

Thanks for all your help Coolname007, I got it to work. I just changed rdisk(0) to rdisk(1), and removed the noexecute=optin.
Now it dual boots great!

Regards,
pdr

I could have told you as much, but glad you got it to work. :smile: And if it wasn't an external hard drive, then how was rdisk (1) right, and not rdisk (0)...? :wink:

Cheers.

-Coolname007

I' m having a problem with dual booting! I copied the 3 files from partition of xp into the partition of 7 (different disks). With easybcd 1.7.2. I added an entry of xp and in view settings there is this message:

''There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows 7
Entry #1
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {e21c3cc9-dfd8-11de-b605-c4b97e1b7838}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR''

Now when I'm switching on the pc it appears the dual boot choice, but when i choose xp, this message appears "windows could'nt start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows rout>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file"

The only way until now, in order to have 2 OS is to pull the sata cable from the disk(one with XP, one with 7) that i dont want to start.

Sorry for the bad english, I think this situation is too messed up...What can I do?

Hello John,

Please get the latest beta build from here. Re-add XP's entry and allow EasyBCD to autoconfigure it for you.

Hi Johnjr. Just get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, and add an XP entry to the BCD, letting it auto-configure, and it should work (that error message usually occurs when the boot.ini in system partition is corrupted). If not, might want to post the sizes of the ntldr and ntdetect.com files in the Win 7 partition...

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't notice the third page at first. I see your problem is already resolved

Last edited:
Back