Dual boot trouble.

B3NW

Okay im new to this sort of stuff and im only 14 so if you could help, speak to me like im stupid :tongueout:

Okay im trying to dual boot with windows vista as my default system and ubuntu 9.04 as my secondary system. I can boot ubuntu in grub but I cannot boot it with the windows bootloader. Iv'e tried with neogrub which gives me grub when I click it but when I select to boot in ubuntu it gives me error 17, Ive searched for help on this but it doesnt work. Ive also tried to boot it as linux but that just gives me a flashing underline and doesnt work :/

Ubuntu is installed on my 500gb ex hd (packard bell save and store 3500) on my first partition, the swap is installed on the second partition, I have some free space and then I have a 3rd partition for just saving stuff and programs etc. Grub installed to the first partition on the hardrive with the ubuntu system. I will provide you with any other information you may need. Thanks
EDIT: IM using EasyBCD 2.0 (I have tried the earlier version)
EDIT2:Works now please close thread.

Help appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello B3NW, welcome to NST

You're running Ubuntu off a second hard drive right? Error 17 translates to "Hey i couldn't find the file you requested on x hard drive and y partition". Seeing as it'll work on its own but not with Windows you'll need to change the x in "root (hdx,y)" in your grub entries. You can do this at boot time with grub, so once you get to Ubuntu's usual grub menu from Vista's boot menu follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to edit the entry and make the changes. I'm guessing x is 0 and proably needs to be 1. If after changing Ubuntu boots correctly, you need to go and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes for any future booting. Open a terminal and use: "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst", which should bring up the file for editing with root privallages. Be advised however that Ubuntu won't boot on its own unless the values are changed back.

Hello B3NW, welcome to NST

You're running Ubuntu off a second hard drive right? Error 17 translates to "Hey i couldn't find the file you requested on x hard drive and y partition". Seeing as it'll work on its own but not with Windows you'll need to change the x in "root (hdx,y)" in your grub entries. You can do this at boot time with grub, so once you get to Ubuntu's usual grub menu from Vista's boot menu follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to edit the entry and make the changes. I'm guessing x is 0 and proably needs to be 1. If after changing Ubuntu boots correctly, you need to go and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes for any future booting. Open a terminal and use: "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst", which should bring up the file for editing with root privallages. Be advised however that Ubuntu won't boot on its own unless the values are changed back.

Sorry you had to type that all out but it will help me in future if I decide to dual boot with other systems.

Back