Dual boot Ubuntu 14.10 onto UEFI/GUID not working

Hi
I clean installed my Dell Inspiron into Win 8.1. I want to dual boot Ubuntu, and have one OS at present, Windows 8.1.
I read the forum and EasyBCD guides, the last on w7 was updated 2007, which dont mention GUID partitions.
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/articles/windows_seven.html
I tried to boot using the Windows Recovery , but it detects that there isnt a windows recovery Disc and wont boot from Linux.
Anyway, my experience today was that my laptop will only boot from the Windows Boot manager when the secureBoot is on/ UEFI enabled. With FastBoot off/SecureBoot off/Legacy enabled, I can boot from DVD or USB.
I failed to boot the Ubuntu even after creating a grub and mount partition for Ubuntu. Reason fatal error, root failed.
Can someone point me to a useful thread to install to sda6 12gb partition, or tell me its impossible. I could then try on an external HDD.
Disk0 is the internal HDD GUID; Disk1 is USB 3.0 external HDD MBR.
Thanks
PatriciaC guid partition W8.1.PNG Disk 0 guid partition W8.1.PNG

I tried the Boot Options F12 and found that I could select to boot into UEFI/ secureboot GUID but it defaulted into MBR.
Then the USB appeared in priority boot.
I was able to install Ubuntu.
If I dont select then Ubuntu opens as default OS.
I chose Windows BootMgr
EasyBCD sees windows as default boot.
Are these boot managers competing, or does it change according to the last OS opened?
Can I change the heading to solved?

Microsoft won't allow Vista/7/8/10 bootmgr to boot "foreign" systems on a UEFI PC (EasyBCD cannot circumvent this)
The only way to dual-boot Windows and Linux on such a PC is to boot via grub and let it chain the BCD.
Get rid of any Linux entry you've put in the BCD, and when you choose Windows from grub, it will boot without displaying the redundant bootmgr menu.

Back