Dual boot vista and linux(ubuntu 8.10)

This is my first attempt at trying to dual-boot anything for starters. I'm really not having that great of a time either.

My config file looks like this.

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=fa1a2687-6c2a-4c5b-a869-b0b53cb30a19 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=fa1a2687-6c2a-4c5b-a869-b0b53cb30a19 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

what am I missing? Everytime I restart and try to go int ubuntu, it gives me error 2: bad or missing file. I've gone through simplified it as much as I could to look like the image in the guide, but I'm still unable to boot it. It got a little bit further after I added the root line, but then i still had file could not be found, until I deleted the uuid line, then it brought me into my current situation, where I get that error 2. After spending a few hours rebooting my computer (remember vista takes about a year to load up) countless times, I don't feel that i'm getting any closer to finding the right answer to my problems, than I have a chance of throwing a rock at the moon. I'm almost certain it's a syntax error and not the program. So any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Mil Doc Jr. Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.
Get EasyBCD Beta (the latest version), and navigate to the NeoGrub tab in the Add/Remove Entries section. Click on "Remove NeoGrub", and then next go to the Linux tab, and add a new entry to boot Linux, making sure to select the correct drive and partition Linux is installed to in the "Device" menu (should be shown as a "Linux" partition), and to select the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector". This will install a version of NeoGrub that reads the menu.lst on the Ubuntu partition (which hopefully will already be configured correctly in your case), and hopefully automate the whole process so you wont have to anything else.
Now reboot, and test the new entry, and it should work. :smile: If it doesn't, then come back here for more troubleshooting.
BTW, you can look at the links in my sig for more info on how to get a dual-boot between Linux and Windows working (the second link is a thread in which I describe the step-by-step process).

Cheers,

Jake

Back