Dual Boot Vista Clone- drive signature issue?

brahmsian

Hi-- first post- great forum here!

Been thru alot of research on this site and others and I'm looking for specific information on performing the following:

I want to clone my existing Vista HD (using Acronis) to a new HD and be able dual boot between the two. -I want a development platform that I can then expiermnet with..

I understand there is an issue with the cloned HD drive signatures resulting in problems on boot up..

I'd like to know how to use EasyBCD to fix that issue so I can boot off either my clone or my original..

The clone will be a great platform for running some other programs without messing with my orginal :wink: and perhaps trying a Win7 conversion in the future..

Thanks..

-Rich

Hello brahmsien, welcome to NST.
When cloning Vista to another HDD, this presents a problem because the cloned BCD has to be adjusted manually to work in the new environment. See this link for more info. Although you should be able to boot from your original Vista's BCD, and add an new "Vista longhorn" entry with EasyBCD, and you shouldn't experience any trouble if the original Vista's HDD remains first in the boot sequence in the BIOS.

Thanks for the quick response..

So it sounds like after I create the clone-- Boot with the original HD (with both drives connected).. and then use EasyBCD to create a new entry for the clone..
Then next time I boot-- I'll get the option for original or clone..

Sound good? :brows:

Thanks!

You'll probably need to boot the Vista DVD with only your new cloned disk connected and "startup repair" the clone to correct the IDs which will be describing the old HDD.

You'll probably need to boot the Vista DVD with only your new cloned disk connected and "startup repair" the clone to correct the IDs which will be describing the old HDD.
Technically, in the case that I described (i.e. where he just adds a Vista boot entry to the original Vista's BCD to boot the cloned Vista), the IDs of the cloned BCD would not present any trouble since he would be using the original Vista's BCD to boot, and calling up the winload.exe of the cloned system directly (without going through the other bootmgr/BCD). :wink:

Thanks for the help guys! I'm up and running with my 2 Vista versions, the clone turned into my default but that's fine...

Had a bit of an issue with getting bootloader to come up at first, but turns out I needed to go into easybcd change settings and make sure the other vista OS was associated with the right drive letter...

-Rich

If you did what I said in post #4 (note the "only" ) then after repairing the clone you should have had 2 independently bootable Vistas each capable of booting alone with a change to the BIOS boot sequence.
If the Clone is now in charge, either you didn't disconnect the old Vista before repairing the new, or you've left the new above the old in the BIOS.
If the latter, you can still reverse the BIOS boot sequence, put the old first then add an entry to the original BCD for the new if you want the old system to be the master.

Terry-

I did what you suggested - but I believe I did leave the clone boot sequence higher then the original- thus the clone is my new default boot-

Actually this suits me fine-- since it (was) a clone anyway, and a newer drive..

I'm kinda learning as I go along....

Thanks- Rich

If you're happy with it the way it is, no problem.
You do have the luxury of being able to boot the old Vista with a BIOS switch if your new drive ever breaks. That's the advantage of ensuring the clone is repaired before trying to use it, having 2 bootable HDDs.

Seeking new advice: to go from Vista1/Vista2 to Win7/Vista2 (dual boot 2 HDD)

Hey Folks:

It's time for a fresh install of Win7 on my current master Vista HDD.
Please refer to past posts to see my current configuration.:S

Since as Terry says : "you should have had 2 independently bootable Vistas each capable of booting alone with a change to the BIOS boot sequence." is the case;

Will this be as EZ as disconnenting the 2nd Vista HDD and performing a clean install of Win7 on the Master drive?-- Then connecting up the 2nd Vista HDD and use easybcd in Win7 boot?

Basically want to keep everything the same; except instead of my master HDD run Vista- have it run Win 7.

i.e; to go from Vista1/Vista2 to Win7/Vista2 (dual boot 2 HDD)

Thanks--

Rich.

Will this be as EZ as disconnenting the 2nd Vista HDD and performing a clean install of Win7 on the Master drive?-- Then connecting up the 2nd Vista HDD and use easybcd in Win7 boot ?

Yes.

Thanks- I'm DL the 2.91Gb iso now..

This is the enterprise 90-day trial version. The faq says I have to activate within 10 days of install?? How do I do that? :wtf:
Or is that after the 90 day period?

Thanks!

Addendum:

Oh- it looks like the trial product key for activation in built in..:smile:

Last edited:
If it says you need to activate it follow the instructions and you should be fine. You can also check to see if you need to activate it manually by bringing up system information property page (what you get when you right click on the computer and select properties).

Back