Dual-Boot : Vista + OSX (x86)

Yeah its active and primary as well. Any way to specify what partition number it tries to boot from? Oh, and .NET is one of my fav ^_^ so easy and short.

I'll check out the VMware Workstation, may just abandon this way of doing it because its a laptop with only 150GB. Do you happen to know if it works on Vista? Site says XP only.... and I dont see where OS X is included :frowning:

Last edited:
VMware 6 works just fine on Vista, though I haven't tried installing it on OS X....

Your system boots from the active partition (which can only be one partition), no matter what number it is. It first queries the MBR though, where the OS X bootloader should have been installed....

What would you suggest for a bootable partiton manager? Mine keeps saying it changes it but it never gets changed.

Also, so what your saying is that the MAC OS X partition has to be Active... but wouldnt that in turn not load the bootloader for the other operating systems?

Last edited:
Acronis Disk Director (paid) or Paragon (free) are probably the best. They both install to Windows and have a bootable media as well.

What I'm actually trying to say is if and only if OS X will boot when it's partition is set as active, then (and only then) has it been installed properly by a "bug free" medium. Only when it boots as active will EasyBCD be able to get it to boot when it isn't - if that makes any sense at all! :smile:

So, what your saying, is i must boot it as active once, finish setting it up, then switch the vista partition back as active? Then it can identify it?

Last edited:
Not really.

Setting the partition as active and attempting to boot from it is a test. If it succeeds, then OS X has been installed right. If it doesn't, OS X has not been installed properly.

EasyBCD can only boot into OS X if it has been installed correctly, bootloader and all.

Ah, alright I got it to work. I have to press F8 upon selecting MAC OS X otherwise it just returns me to bootscreen. Any way to change this? Also, according to Acronis, I am only allowed to have 3 Primary Partitions at a time... but with 4 OS's, then one is going to be left bootable. Any way around?

No, unfortunately Apple makes it very near impossible to change any bootlodaer behavior - assuming it's an Apple-caused error in the first place (and not based on the install-medium).

Windows Vista can be installed and booted from a non-Primary partition - same with any Linux OSes.

Back