Dual Boot (Vista/XP) all Fouled Up!

spudly12

Hello,

Here's my story/tale of woe...

I have a Vista Install on C: and an XP install on D: partition of same physical HD. Was running EasyBCD v1.7.

The main use of machine is 95% Windows XP which as human error I screwed up the registry. I went to do a repair install from XP disc. During install got an error it couldn't copy NTLDR (completely forgetting my dual boot option). Machine wouldn't boot however I was able to fix using my Vista install disc repair to get back to Vista install with Easy BCD which allowed me to "see" the D partition that had my XP install and data. When I restared the machine I was able to get back to Vista no problem, but still could not get back to XP. So here is the next mistake I made :joy:- I upgraded to the latest EasyBCD. I copied NTDLR via flash drive to my XP partition (D drive) AND also performed some repair within the software (forgot exactly what, doh!). {More Disclosure: At the same time Vista downloaded windows updates, however I when I restarted I didn't choose the button to install those on restart}

The end result is that when I boot I get "BOOTMGR is missing" error. I go back to Vista install and do a startup repair but it fails! (Tries 60 times and ultimately comes back with Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x5). (And I try a system restore for good measure).

Per http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html...

I then tried bootrec /rebuildbcd but that did not come up with anything.

I subsequently did bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup however that gave me an "access is denied" message so I changed it to bcdedit /export D:\BCD_Backup which it seems to be OK with.

then I type the following command ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
which seems to be OK.

and finally
bootrec /rebuildbcd
Scanning all disks for Windows Installations
Please wait....
Successfully scanned Windows Installations.
Total Identified Windows Installations: 0
The operation completed successfully

But to no avail. A reboot still puts me at "BOOTMGR is missing".

Also when I go to command prompt it puts me at an X:\Souces directory. Not sure what this is....
My C: drive is the Vista Partition
My D: drive is the XP Partition
My E: drive is the Dell Recovery partition (to make the machine 'like new')
My F: drive is the CD media
However the X: drive (literally!) is unknown to me. The label is "boot" and has 4 Directories (Program Files, Sources, Users and Windows as well as one file 'setup.exe). So it appears like it as a random Vista install stub of some sort. ?? Edit- I figured out that this X: drive is what the environment Windows Creates as part of the installation. I booted the Vista Install disc with my HD attached and the command prompt shows this drive. But you probably already knew that. :wink:

Any help is greatly appreciated! I can't seem to find anyway to recover.

Addendum:

Oy! While waiting (and hoping) for some help I went through Steps 1,2,4 AND 4 (the nuclear holocaust) of http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD and it still craps out on boot!

While going through the steps (especially 4)it tells me 'all operations completed successfully'. Prior to (and post, just for kicks) when I attempt to do the Startup Repair (#2) when I go through the details of the Window (C:\windows\bfsvc.exe) it reads

"BFSVC: No process found using c:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr file"
"BFSVC:BfSpPrintFileOwnerProcess: Failed to open file! Last Error = 0 x2"
"BFSVC:BFspCopyFile (C:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr, \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\bootmgr) failed! (Attempt 15 of 60) Last Error = 0x5"

And it does this for all 60 attempts.

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Honestly, seems to me like your PC is pretty fried. Try System Restore?

nanachitang420

how to boot in Linux Julia

Installed linus julia on a harddisk with dual boot of xp and windows 7 while xp installed first and win 7 next. Added xp entry in vista bootloader with vista boot pro 3.3.
Now after installing Linux julia on same harddisk but different partition and added EasyBCD new entry with linux/BSD it is not booting to Linum.
Please guide how to add entry for lInux julia in vista bootloader.
Dont want to loose Win 7 as it is also working fine