Dual Boot Vista/XP - Vista 1st

rosti

Hi there,

I have followed this guide step by step http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista

When i reboot it goes straight into XP, after opening EasyBCD I found that the XP entry had gone:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried booting from the vista disc and repairing using this guide http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

However, when i select the installation and hit next (screen just before the repair options come up) I get the following message:

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair..."

I have tried bypassing this error by selecting the space below the windows installation and then entered the following commands in the command prompt:

"Bootrec.exe /fixMBR"

and

"Bootrec.exe /fixBoot"

When I rebooted XP still automatically starts up.

I'm now stumped as to what to do :??

If anybody has any ideas/solutions to my problem your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

Ross

hey Makaveli,

I've just tried repairing the bootloader using the method you suggested.

None of the different types worked and my comp still boots straight into XP. When I tried Type3 the following message came up:

HTML:
Boot files already present. EasyBCD will not be recreating the Windows Vista BCD files.
Any ideas what I could try next?

Thanks for helping btw :smile:

Are you using the same genuine Vista DVD which was used to install Vista, to attempt the auto boot repair, or is it one of our recovery disk ISO downloads ?
If the latter, it sounds like you downloaded the wrong one. (x86 for 32 bit Vista - x64 for 64 bit)
Installing XP after Vista only requires an automatic "repair startup" (or 2 or 3 to be more accurate) and is normally without problems.

I'm using the Vista DVD used in the initial installation.
I'll give it another go now...

Addendum:

Okay... I'm silly. I have 2 versions of Vista on different DVD's and I must have been using the wrong one to repair.

It's now working.

Cheers for your help Makaveli and Terry!

Last edited:
Back