dual boot win 7 and win xp

ron101

Hi ive got win xp on C:\ and win 7 D:\ ive reinstall win xp and now there no mention of win 7 I tried the easybcd 1.7.2 "manage bootloader and MBR "but it doesnt work and when i download easybcd 2.0 it gives this:
So im in a bit of a quandry what to do

Attachments

• bcd 2.0.jpg
    bcd 2.0.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
Please post a screenshot of the Disk Management section of Computer Management in Administrative Tools.

Hi thanks for coming, it wont show win 7 now because i had to take it out but it happens every time i have to reinstall win xp. Is there something i can tell you or you can tell me?? Do you still want Disk Management???

When you install XP after Vista/W7 it regresses the boot process to a level incapable of booting the later systems.
In order to dual boot, you must repair the boot so that Vista/W7 regains control.
You can do this either by booting the W7 DVD and following these instructions, or by repairing from XP with EasyBCD like this.
Neither method will work if you've removed W7. There's nothing to repair. XP does not have a BCD, hence the message.
Once repaired Use EasyBCD to add an entry for XP to the W7 BCD.

Use EasyBCD 2.0, not 1.7. It will automate the addition of XP to the W7 BCD instead of the previous requirement for you to copy/edit multiple files.

Last edited:
I am having the same problems. I had XP and then d/l'd the Win 7 beta 2 (build 7100) and like it and all that jazz but now cannot for the life of me get into XP again. I've tried EasyBCD 2.0 and even manually recreated the bcd file from recovery console (using Win 7 iso disc). Here is my setup:

One hard drive (disk 0) partitioned 3 ways now:
C: (Windows 7) was of course XP before I installed Win 7
d: (windows XP home) cannot boot (missing or corrupt winload.exe-when I try to dual boot)
k: Recovery partition (this was working today but it only gives options to wipe drive to reinstall XP)
c: Healthy, boot, primary, etc.
d: Healthy, primary
K Healthy, system active, primary

Easy BCD 2.0:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
Timeout: 10 seconds.
Boot Drive: K:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {22965240-970a-11de-bb0c-9f9959ac9dc7}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Right now, I can prob bet when I restart it will go to RECOVERY, then I got to put the Win 7 ISO divd, go to recovery console and straighten bootsect and bcdedit out again to get this working. (I know enough to be dangerous, ha).

If it goes to options, I select XP and will prob come up with winload.exe, or hal.dll error.

Thus, I need help to get BACK XP. (I'll prob del Win 7 partition on disk by expanding the XP to fillup to the Recovery partition.) (No biggie, I backed up all just in case I really need to use the RECOVERY partition and no major apps were put on Win 7...however, all my office 2007/2010 TP and all apps on XP would have to be reinstalled.)

Thanks in advance. Pics are included.
42080959@N06

Hi salesman, welcome to NST.
The XP entry in the BCD is incorrectly pointing to XP .
It should point to the "system" partition, where copies of the XP boot files need to be copied and modified.
Use EasyBCD 2.0 latest build.
Delete the XP entry, add it again and accept the offer to auto-configure, and it will do it all for you.
Don't change the entry it creates.

Still no go.

Currently
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1

Entry #2
BCD ID: {1222f660-9738-11de-aaab-80d26a080660}

Boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect

Drives as above post stills same.

Results= no luck so far. Just tried to copy boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetct to C: from D: drive and reboot. I selected XP and just got a blank screen. No go.

How did you get the boot drive to D: suddenly ?
If K: is still "system", that's your boot drive, not D:

May just have to uninstall win 7 beta

Well, did some command line mojo and Win 7 Computer Management mojo to get D: System, Primary, Active.

Used Entry Based settings in EBCD 2.0 to get it OFF K: so it won't go to the RECOVERY partition.

At this point, I don't know what my mbr looks like, Boot.ini looks like above as well as this:
Timeout: 30 seconds.

Entry #1

Entry #2
BCD ID: {1222f660-9738-11de-aaab-80d26a080660}

So I don't know what the hell is wrong. Yes, I used the auto config boot.ini and all I get is this:
[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]

Did recovery console commands like fixmbr, bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force, bcdedit stuff and trying Rescue my system from Easy bcd. Did manual bcdedit entries and more.

At this point, that Recovery partition to just wipe the drive clean and reinstall tons of crap, some games, office 2007, etc. looks tempting, but I'd rather not. ATM if it can be helped.

Additional notes: XP was installed, then Win 7, used Easis partition manager in XP to size the C: drive into room for Win 7. (Just D/L and iso'd Gparted if all else fails, will resize the drive with Win 7 on it to merge with XP drive.)

Any help appreciated.

Late last night, I decided to give it one more try before putting in Gparted and wiping out the Win 7 Partition and hoping XP would work again.

As the fates have it, it worked. from Easy BCD 2.0, I removed XP, added it, then auto configured, then restared, then chose XP and {halllaallulllaha}, it worked.

Current settings:
Timeout: 5 seconds.

Entry #1

Entry #2
BCD ID: {05aeb25b-9788-11de-b5ff-f665369d4161}

Current boot.ini: (also taken from EasyBCD 2.0)
[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]

I think it worked due to fixing the drive issue. Also I did what some have suggested by RESTARTED the REPAIR STARTUP 2 or 3x from the Win 7 Startup DVD. NO Fixboot, Fixmbr commands necessary.

The key I think is the change to the drive designation. Thus EASYBCD2.0 JUST WORKS! Trust It! I finally did and it worked. (you can quote me on that too!)

Thanks for all your help.

EasyBCD 1 just manipulated the BCD entries and getting a successful dual-boot with XP required additional manual copying and editing of the XP boot files.
Guru's put a lot more code into release 2, to automate more and more of what used to be extra tasks.
It's still Beta and constantly evolving, so occasionally a user/software/ hardware configuration combination will find unforeseen problems, but generally speaking, for the vast majority of situations, as you said "It just works".
Quite a few of the "problems" reported are found by our more techie users who don't quite believe they don't need to get in and fiddle around with a few of the old cmd prompts they've used historically, which might be confusing the issue, rather than helping.
Glad you're all sorted now.

Back