Dual boot Win 7 and XP Pro

wireman

Original set up, Gigabyte Motherboard with Intel 3Ghz Dual Core and XP Pro installed on SATA drive, no problems.
This drive was initially partitioned for a Linux install, hence the arrangement of partitions but had to be quickly brought into service when old XP drive failed. Perhaps unassigned areas are contributing to the problem.

Decided to get familiar with Windows 7, as that's where I'll eventually have to go but want to retain XP for now.
Installed Win 7 on an old IDE drive without a hitch, proposing to move it to a newer drive later.

Ideally I want to be able to switch between operating systems easily and thought EasyBCD2 with iReboot was a perfect solution.

Unfortunately, despite spending the last few days searching for and trying different suggestions, I'm unable to get the booting to work as expected.

With Win 7(IDE) as 1st boot in bios it gives the OS options at start up and will start Win 7 but selecting XP gives -

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from c:\windows\

for a few seconds, then black screen and freeze. Only power button can restart.

With XP(SATA) as 1st boot it immediately starts XP.

Although both systems are available, after adjusting bios, it's not what I was aiming for and clearly something is not quite right.

Re-installing Win 7 is an option, if necessary but I would like some advice on whether it would help, otherwise I might end up with the same problem.
I now have another SATA drive available, if a clean and permanent install is advised.

Screenshots attached.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Win 7 is on IDE Disk 0, partition "OS2 (C) "
XP Pro is on SATA Disk 1, partition "win Boot (D) "

Attachments

• EasyBCD Details.gif
    EasyBCD Details.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Disks.gif
    Disks.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks for your response Terry.
I have been using the latest build (76) and removed/replaced the xp entry a number of times with different configurations. Still getting the same result.

Did you accept the offer to auto-configure ?

(I ask because "I tried a number of different configurations" suggests not.)

Just delete the existing entry, add a new entry using the Windows tab and the XP dropdown, accept the auto-configure and don't change the drive later (it "greys" to prevent manual intervention during add).

If this is what you did, then post a copy of the contents of the boot.ini in use. (EasyBCD /tools / edit legacy entries)

Last edited:
Different configurations (adjusting bios etc.) were tried only after all instructions contained in your stickies, including accepting auto-configure, were strictly followed and failed to work.
The instructions were used again to test after every adjustment, without success.

The result of EasyBCD /tools / edit legacy entries :-
"EasyBCD can't find boot.ini, please locate it manually in the next screen, or press cancel."
I was unable to find it.
XP entry was removed/replaced again, 'Automated NTLDR Configuration' accepted and reported as successful.
Tried 'edit legacy entries' again but boot.ini still not found.
Also tried:-
Re-install the windows vista/7 bootloader. Write MBR. Reported successful, restart. (boot.ini not found)
Reset BCD configuration. Reported successful. (boot.ini not found)
Recreate boot files - gives Warning pop-up
-------------------------------------
EasyBCD 2.0 BETA - NeoSmart Technologies
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

(Dialogue box)
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ..œ(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EasyBCD
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.76
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.76
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSI....0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSI...0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSI..._b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
{70fc5d9e-3dc9-4d07-a468-323323133628}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program Files/NeoSmart Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSI....0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Interop.Microsoft.Feeds.Interop
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program Files/NeoSmart Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your help is much appreciated Terry, thanks.
Rather than take up your time with chasing down this problem, would it be easier if I re-install Win 7 on new HD and report the situation then ?

OK, obviously something about your configuration is getting Easy's knickers in a twist, crashing it like that.
If you could post your DM screenshot and the failure messages as a thread in the "bug" forum, CG can take a look at it.
Meanwhile, copy boot.ini NTLDR and ntdetect.com from the XP root into the W7 root (if you can't see them set folder options like this) Change the rdisk value in the W7 copy of boot.ini to rdisk(1) (in both the default and OS lines).
Then try booting XP again.

SUCCESS !!!!

Your manual method worked perfectly, thanks Terry.
For your information, only the boot.ini had to be added, others were already present.
I will post a thread in the "bug" forum as you suggest.
My understanding of the process is greatly improved, thanks to your assistance.

For others following the same solution :-
copy boot.ini from XP root to desktop
right click > properties > uncheck 'read only'
open, edit and save
right click > properties > check 'read only'
move/copy file to Win 7 root
(Note - Win 7 denies access to edit, once file is placed in root.)

Glad you're OK now.
That's the standard answer we used to give n times per day, which I put into a sticky thread to avoid getting RSI typing the same thing over and over. Then CG developed 2.0 and the manual instructions were taken out of the sticky.
Did you just install Easy and run it normally ? No setting it "as admin" or anything like that ?

I have no experience beyond XP so was more than happy to just follow your standard, basic installation instructions for EasyBCD2 carefully.
I noticed that you have to repeatedly give answers which are already covered in your stickies, maybe CG should write a 'Read the sticky' auto-response for you.

I'm firmly at the bottom of a learning curve with 7 for the moment, having only seen it for the first time when I installed it about a week ago. Bells and whistles are some way down the line.
Getting it to merge successfully with my XP network is the current task and it's proving to be enough of a challenge so far.

Thanks again Terry for helping me overcome one problem at least.

Thanks for this thread = fixed my "issues" too :smile:
Just for your info Terry60 and all

My installation is very simple.

A new Dell PC

A SATA drive with XP all working fine as a stand alone.

Added another SATA drive, kept the XP drive connected, installed 7 on new drive = all OK - Boots to 7 fine and shows the XP drive contents fine.

Checked with Drive Manager = no other partitions, hidden or otherwise.

Installed EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, Build 93, added the XP drive, let it auto configure.

Try to boot to XP = a black screen and no HDD activity

Looked on the 7 drive root, no boot.ini file (I would have thought EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, Build 93 "auto configure" would have put a copy there ? - it did copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM)

Copied boot.ini from the XP drive = same result.

Found this thread, duly edited the boot.ini on the 7 drive so both the rdisk entries now read 1 (instead of 0)

Now works fine :smile:

I only mention all this as it may help with later versions of EasyBCD and help others with the same issue.

Thanks

John in the N.W. UK

Last edited:
Hi Ghost, welcome to NST.

I'm glad this thread helped you, but I'm not sure why things didn't automatically happen for you.

Do you think you could open EasyBCD b93, Useful Utilities, Power Console
Code:
bootgrabber.exe /tlist

And past the results here?

Hi Ghost, welcome to NST.

I'm glad this thread helped you, but I'm not sure why things didn't automatically happen for you.

Do you think you could open EasyBCD b93, Useful Utilities, Power Console
Code:
bootgrabber.exe /tlist

And past the results here?

Hi there Mahmoud and all :smile:

The PC in question has gone back to the customer, but as he is a regular customer, next time I am passing I will grab a copy of the file and post it up :smile:

Regards

John

OK, obviously something about your configuration is getting Easy's knickers in a twist, crashing it like that.
If you could post your DM screenshot and the failure messages as a thread in the "bug" forum, CG can take a look at it.
Meanwhile, copy boot.ini NTLDR and ntdetect.com from the XP root into the W7 root (if you can't see them set folder options like this) Change the rdisk value in the W7 copy of boot.ini to rdisk(1) (in both the default and OS lines).
Then try booting XP again.
Hello having same problems here. Will post back if this works for me.

Addendum:

I do not get this files copied to the win7 root at all:

boot.ini NTLDR and ntdetect.com <--- I am using version 2.02.117 of EasyBCD. I have the same configuration as this thread.

SATA HDD 0: Win7.
SATA HDD 1: WinXP Pro.

Will post back when I try it...

Last edited:
Back