Dual boot Win 7/Vista and XP - works for me

Two situations.
On a desktop PC. I disconnected my WinXP OS drive. I installed Win 7 on a separate single drive (C. I reconnected the XP drive (now D, booted into Win 7 and installed Easy BCD ver1.7.2 (not beta). Could not get it to work no matter how much I read the forums.

Deleted EasyBCD ver 1.7.2. Downloaded and installed EasyBCD (beta ver 2.0 build 76). Removed XP entry. Added XP entry, used all program defaults. Works GREAT... wha-lah. Thanks.

On a laptop, a long, long time ago. I partioned the drive for and installed XP for dual-boot. Vista was the OEM installed OS. I booted into Vista and installed EasyBCD v 1.7.1 Could never get it to work correctly, missing file errors, etc. Read the forums, gave up months ago. Just left it alone and used Vista.

Today after success with the desktop, on the laptop, deleted EasyBCD ver 1.7.2. Downloaded and installed EasyBCD (beta ver 2.0 build 76). Removed XP entry. Added XP entry, used all program defaults. Works GREAT... wha-lah. Thanks.

This latest ver, Beta 2.0 build 76, seems to know what it's doing, at least for me.

Thanks to: Terry60 who wrote the following,

"Download EasyBCD 2.0 latest build (don't use 1.7)
Install it in W7
add/remove
delete the XP entry
add it again
accept the offer to auto-configure
don't change the drive assigned to XP - EasyBCD knows what it's doing."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"you lie !"

W0739.jpg

EasyBCD's basic function is to edit the BCD via a GUI.
Successive builds have had extra facilities added.
Easy 2.0 includes code to do all the extra copying and editing of the XP files which used to be a manual task with 1.7.
There are also lots of other facilities appearing all the time.

Thanks "mrfuzzyjets"!

I had Win7 64 on one drive (C) ... unplugged it.... then installed XP 32 on the other drive (D)
Plugged the Win 7 drive back in and was swapping boot order in Bios to get to each OS.
Found your post , registered here, downloaded EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, Ran it from Win7, Added XP, Made no other changes..... Could boot to Win7 but not XP , would go to black screen.
In EasyBcd, changed XP drive from (C) to (D), No change still went to black screen...Starting to worry now :wtf:.

Reread your post, "Delete XP then Add XP, use program defaults". It's worth a try....
And "Works GREAT... wha-lah".. Indeed!
Not sure why it doesn't work the first time, but it worked.

Thanks EasyBCD!

Back