Dual Boot Win 7 & Win XP Pro on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop

Hello Everyone

I have bought a new Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 Desktop pre-installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) thinking to install after windows XP Pro as most of my work environment requires Win XP but found there is no option to either boot from a win XP CD and then install or install Win XP withing Win 7

Let me explain what I did to install side by side Win 7 with Win XP Pro!

First I made a partition of 20GB from Disk Manager in Win 7 and then boot from Win XP CD, when prompt I hit "F6 to install third party SCSI RAID drivers" and it was end up with a "BSOD" (Blue Screen Of Death)

The system details are below, I really appreciate of any help to guide me how to install Windows XP Pro on this machine either alone or with Win 7....

Best Regards,

Khaled.....:smile:

----------------------------------------
System Summary
Product Studio XPS 435T/9000
Chain of the BIOS version A16
Serial HFVRVH1
Express Service Code 379-656-609-49

OS
Microsoft names Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
Service Pack Service Pack 1
Production Number 7601
DirectX version 11

CPU
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz (CPU: 0)

Name Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Hearts 4
8 threads

RAM
System Memory
Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB work at (1067 MHz)
24.00 GB maximum memory supported
Hard Drive - ST31000528AS ATA Device

Hard Drive
Seagate supplier
Model number ST31000528AS
Serial 6VP9DR8H
Dimensions of marketing a TB
Speed: 7200 RPM

Graphics Card
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 220
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum \ PCI \ VEN_10DE & DEV_0A20 & SUBSYS_069A10DE & REV_A2
Display Memory: 3790 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Processors

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz (CPU: 0)

Name Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz

Hearts 4

8 threads

Signature 106A5h

Family 6h

Model 1Ah

D0 revision

45nm technology

Performance
Maximum speed 2.67 GHz qualified
Turbo Boost speed max. 2.93 GHz
Current Speed ​​2.79 GHz
Multiplier x 21.0 (12-20)
Turbo Boost max rate. x 22
133.00 MHz bus speed

Hi Terry

Thanks for your response!

This Win XP Pro CD has SP3 include already and its from June 2011 all the updates are inside.

Right now I check again by pressing F6 and note down below message

setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter. Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices.

<none>

* To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM drives, or special disk controllers for use with Windows, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, press S.

* If you do not have any device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer, or do not want to specify additional mass storage for use with Windows, press ENTER.

When I press S system says there is no floppy disk found as there is none and if press ENTER then it ends up with a BSOD as usual!

What do you suggest???:S

I just checked, there is only option to select either RAID or AHCI

Have changed to RAID and same blue screen comes after loading all drivers, just before showing the storage device info where you make changes for partition!........:ldown:

Is there an advantage to dual booting in this scenario rather than installing XP mode (part of ultimate) and running all your XP stuff in that? (Virtual machine - Comes with XP SP3 installed & access to all the hardware you have on the main system).

I've not done it myself yet but that is what I plan to do when I upgrade my desktop to win 7 (to use more memory). I gather that you can cut and paste from XP mode into programmes running in native Win7, share drives & write to the same files from either OS. I have some 16bit progs I am really used to and want to continue to use alongside the stuff running in Win 7

I'd say do it for the heck of it if you want to learn something new. You're going to get better performance from XP if you run it on the machine itself rather then in a VM where it only gets the portion of the system's resources allocated to it. However if all you're doing in XP is running 16-bit programs in compatibility mode theres no need to do all this and you also haft to consider it has its drawbacks. For example you haft to reboot whenever you want to use something in Windows 7 and you're probably going to want to use Windows 7 the majority of the time. If you do go the virtualized route you could use XP mode but I would just get the cheaper upgrade to Windows 7 instead of the Ultimate edition and install Virtualbox with an XP VM. With the installation of guest additions you get the added benefits of folder, clipboard, and device sharing.

Hello Everyone who helped me to answer here...........

But still I am not able to find the "CLUE" where and how to change the "SETTINGS" (if required any in BIOS) as I mentioned my situation above.

Please anyone explain, I am using right now Win7 by force as no option right now and have a new unique trouble that my iphone doesnt recognize in itunes while it can be seen on another pc running win xp without any problem!!

Sorry, I don't own a Dell, so can't walk you through their BIOS setup. It's not like the Phoenix BIOS on my ASUS mobo (they don't allow HDD boot sequence changes e.g.) so you'll need to interrogate the Dell Handbook or contact their support people if you can't work it out.

Even though I owned a Dell for many years, I still couldnt answer this question as to how to enable IDE mode over AHCI. Dell tailors their BIOS for the specific machine and mother board, as do most mother board manufacturers out there. So there isnt going to be a way any of us could answer such a question without seeing the actual BIOS, either by picture or in person. As each BIOS is unique in that way. As Terry said, you will have to consult the Dell Manual, search online or contact their support to get specifics unless your willing to take a picture of every BIOS screen and share them.

Back