Dual Boot Win 7 & XP On Separate Discs

Discussion in 'Windows Support' started by Chromedome2000, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Chromedome2000

Chromedome2000 New Member

Hi everybody, first time posting here, hope this isn't a stupid question! I previously had a dual-boot system with Vista 64 and XP 32 on separate discs. I used a previous version of EasyBCD to accomplish this but can't remember how I did it. Recently I installed Win 7 64 to the Vista 64 disc replacing Vista (did not upgrade, did a clean install). I disconnected the XP disc while doing so. Following the Win 7 installation I reconnected the XP disc and of course cannot boot into XP unless I change the boot order in BIOS to the XP disc. When booting from the XP disc I get the option of booting to Vista but it fails to start Win 7 when I try booting to the Vista opton. Following is the boot.ini file from my XP disc.
    ;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

As my backups are on my XP disc (plus I need XP to use some older hardware and programs) I need to be cautious when setting up dual-booting again. In Win 7 Disk Management, Disk 0 shows up as (D:) Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) and contains my XP installation. Disk 1 shows up as (C:) Healthy (System, Boot, Page, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) and contains my Win 7 installation.

Should I run EasyBCD from my Win 7 or XP installation and what steps do I need to take? I'm thinking I should run it from XP and allow it to automatically find my Win 7 installation but need to know before I undertake this task because I really don't want to screw things up! Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want to be cautious and not lose either installation. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

2. mqudsi

mqudsi Mostly Harmless Staff Member

Boot into Windows 7, run EasyBCD 2.0.2, and add a new Windows XP entry. Tick the box that says "automatically determine drive" before adding though, and you should be set.

3. Chromedome2000

Chromedome2000 New Member

Well that was certainly easy enough! Thanks for your quick reply, worked like a charm! One other question, I've read that when starting XP, XP will wipe out any restore points in Win 7. If this is true, from what I gather, I'll need to use HnS to hide Win 7 from XP? What steps do I need to take to achieve this? Again, thanks for the quick reply, your software is definitely the best and I will recommend it to everyone I know needing a solution to their dual-boot problem.

4. Terry60

Terry60 Coastline Designer Staff Member

Retired System Programmer