Dual boot Win7 and Win7... help

alewis

Long story short, I want to cut down the number of PCs by combining my game and work rig. I fitted an SSD and installed the first instance of Win7. Fitted the second SSD, and installed the second instance of Win7 (at this point, Windows makes the 2nd disk the boot disk).

No easy way to edit (what was) the boot.ini file (in XP), so I bought and installed EBCD, and followed the instructions (I thought!) to rename the second "Microsoft Windows 7" entry to "Windows 7 - game"

For some reason, this doesn't quite work. EBCD not only renamed the entry, it changed where it pointed to.

Entry #3
Name: Windows 7 - Work
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Entry #4
Name: Windows 7 - Game
BCD ID: {2535a7fb-9d84-11e2-805b-891b69071ee2}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Its trying to use winload.exe instead of winload.efi Which results in a blank screen and the OS doesn't load. How do I change this to \winload.efi? There appears to be no easy way in EBCD. Windows install media will not repair the install (?! I used it to install the OS!)

I really dont want to start from scratch again, in case it screws up the work installation... its not the install, its installing the drivers, patches, hortfixes, and getting the LSI RAID card to play after that kills me!

Back