Dual boot Windows 10 pro and Kubuntu 18.04

You'll need to let grub do the booting
EasyBCD and UEFI

Exactly how ?

Is this a function of EasyBCD?

I do not have Kubuntu installed.
When I try to install with the manual section it tries to use whole disc.Including the Windows 10 section.
The installer gives no other choice.
How do I install Kubuntu 18.04 so it will install so it correctly. I need details?

Is this a function of EasyBCD?
No.
With a W10 UEFI PC, Microsoft will not allow you to dual-boot Linux via the MS bootmgr, and even EasyBCD cannot circumvent this absolute prohibition.
You will need to use either an additional storage device for Linux, or make space on the W10 disk by using "shrink volume" in MS Disk Management.
This is not the place for such detailed instructions, as a look at
Ubuntu
will demonstrate. (These instructions apply to non-UEFI PCs, so don't try following them)
Your best bet is to do a web search for "Dual boot Kubuntu 18.08 with Windows 10 UEFI" and find instuctions (or a Youtube video) from someone who's already been there.
I stopped using Linux many many years ago, in the era of Legacy grub, so will not attempt to guide you with any specific detail.

No.
With a W10 UEFI PC, Microsoft will not allow you to dual-boot Linux via the MS bootmgr, and even EasyBCD cannot circumvent this absolute prohibition.
You will need to use either an additional storage device for Linux, or make space on the W10 disk by using "shrink volume" in MS Disk Management.
This is not the place for such detailed instructions, as a look at
Ubuntu
will demonstrate. (These instructions apply to non-UEFI PCs, so don't try following them)
Your best bet is to do a web search for "Dual boot Kubuntu 18.08 with Windows 10 UEFI" and find instuctions (or a Youtube video) from someone who's already been there.
I stopped using Linux many many years ago, in the era of Legacy grub, so will not attempt to guide you with any specific detail.

It seems to me that best way would to convert the UEFI/GPT to MBR?
Would the existing Window 10 in the UEFI/GPT to MBR .Would windows work well in MBR?

I installed the Beta versions of W10 as MBR on HDD leaving my W8.1/7 dual-boot on GPT SSD, and later upgraded 8.1 to the final release of W10 on SSD.
It works fine either way, but converting an OEM GPT W10 to MBR will most likely void your PC warranty and probably prevent the OEM backup/restore/factory reset facility from bailing you out if something goes wrong with the conversion or in the future.
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with a working W10 just to enable a Linux dual-boot via bootmgr.
Much safer to install Linux to your existing PC and let it take control of the boot.
The worst that can happen (provided you're not stupid enough to let Linux install on top of W10) is that you might have to use a W10 recovery CD (Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create recovery disc) to put W10 bootmgr back in control if you don't get Linux up and running properly.

I installed the Beta versions of W10 as MBR on HDD leaving my W8.1/7 dual-boot on GPT SSD, and later upgraded 8.1 to the final release of W10 on SSD.
It works fine either way, but converting an OEM GPT W10 to MBR will most likely void your PC warranty and probably prevent the OEM backup/restore/factory reset facility from bailing you out if something goes wrong with the conversion or in the future.
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with a working W10 just to enable a Linux dual-boot via bootmgr.
Much safer to install Linux to your existing PC and let it take control of the boot.
The worst that can happen (provided you're not stupid enough to let Linux install on top of W10) is that you might have to use a W10 recovery CD (Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create recovery disc) to put W10 bootmgr back in control if you don't get Linux up and running properly.

I am stuck with the same problem then ,how to install Kubuntu 18.04 on this PC.
The manual method ,wants to write to the whole disk,including the Windows section and there is no choice?
I need detail about how to install Kubuntu 18.04 on this PC?

I said in a previous post. You either need to install Linux on a separate drive (the safest and easiest option if your PC has a spare slot and you can afford a cheap small SSD), or if that's not an option, you need to create space by shrinking the size of Windows (or any other partition on the PC)
Easily Shrink a Volume on a Windows 7 Disk
then install Linux into the space you created.
This just about covers it

Last edited:
I said in a previous post. You either need to install Linux on a separate drive (the safest and easiest option if your PC has a spare slot and you can afford a cheap small SSD), or if that's not an option, you need to create space by shrinking the size of Windows (or any other partition on the PC)
Easily Shrink a Volume on a Windows 7 Disk
then install Linux into the space you created.
This just about covers it
I think installing another SSD would invalidate the manufacturers guarantee ,just as much as changing to MBR.
I have made space for the for the Linux on this PC, I have experience of dual booting an old PC with Windows XP.
The manual method ,wants to write to the whole disk,including the Windows section and there is no choice?

What now?

I think installing another SSD would invalidate the manufacturers guarantee ,just as much as changing to MBR.
I have made space for the for the Linux on this PC, I have experience of dual booting an old PC with Windows XP.

What now?

Also Ubuntu is easy to set up as dual boot compared to Kubuntu

If Kubuntu wants to overwrite your whole disk, then don't use it is all I can say.
Why would you want to install an OS with so little self control ?
I think you may be doing something wrong but, as I already said, I haven't used any flavour of Linux for 5 years or more, and I won't (can't) offer any advice on the detail of what you want to do.
Installing an extra drive won't invalidate any warranty.
Why would they give you an empty slot if you weren't allowed to use it ?

If Kubuntu wants to overwrite your whole disk, then don't use it is all I can say.
Why would you want to install an OS with so little self control ?
I think you may be doing something wrong but, as I already said, I haven't used any flavour of Linux for 5 years or more, and I won't (can't) offer any advice on the detail of what you want to do.

Why would you want to install an OS with so little self control ? I have tested it on a another PC ,
It worked fine,and it has 5years updates
I think you may be doing something wrong . You are correct but what?
but, as I already said, I haven't used any flavour of Linux .The advantages of Linux are
It does not need AntiVirus or malsoft and you need scan .
The updates rarely need rebooting,unlike the feature updates for W10,which I hate.
The file system is intrinsically defagged and you fill it up to 100%
and I won't (can't) offer any advice on the detail of what you want to do.
Where can I find it?
There is no spare slot on this PC

Back