Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 7

b.c.

Hello - I installed Windows 7 on partition 1 and then again on partition 2. Everything was work okay except the partition 2 version had some weird permission problems going on. So I Ghosted partition 1 to partition 2. Now, when I choose partition 1 or 2 during boot up, it always boots partition 2. Any ideas?

EaysBCD is set to boot partition 1 drive C, and partition 2 drive D... however, it always boots drive D... I don't understand?

Thanks for any help or pointers!

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Please post a Disk Management screenshot and paste the text from EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed)
(how-to in the sticky thread)

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
At boot time do you get two different entries and selecting either one boots into partition 2, or does it just boot into partition 2 without prompting you to select?

Terry60

Staff member
I asked for the detailed mode text, and Disk Management isn't complete without the graphic section. (can't tell where anything is)

b.c.

Terry - I really apprecaite your help on this.

Sorry I got the images wrong. Please see below.

At start up you are given 2 selections BCm and BC. No matter what you choose, the BCm OS always loads.

Thanks - Ben

--
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {bbeecb58-b582-11df-b92b-485b397bb3e0}
resumeobject {3a330850-ae28-11df-9ec3-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {bbeecb58-b582-11df-b92b-485b397bb3e0}
{bbeecb59-b582-11df-b92b-485b397bb3e0}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
displaybootmenu Yes
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {bbeecb58-b582-11df-b92b-485b397bb3e0}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description BCm
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {834ecc6f-b587-11df-9af4-806e6f6e6963}
sos No
debug No
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {bbeecb59-b582-11df-b92b-485b397bb3e0}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description BC
locale en-US
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {688ca6ef-b93d-11df-8c39-806e6f6e6963}

Attachments

Terry60

Staff member
Your screenshots show C: is running, but your OP says that D always boots, and your latest post says the opposite ?

b.c.

Yes, I believe I had it backwards at first. It's actually the OS on C: that it boots to no matter what you choose.

What I've tried:
I've tried deleting all entry's in EasyBCD and recreating them.
I've also done 'Re-create/repair boot files' under 'BCD Backup/Repair'.

Terry60

Staff member
How are you telling which one has booted, since they're clones and look the same ?
Remember both are C: when booted.
The only way to tell is which partition is marked "boot" in Disk Management. Is that what you're checking ?

b.c.

So this is interesting...

When I select BCm, Disk Manager shows C: as Boot
When I select BC, Disk Manager shows D: as Boot

However, I have different files on the desktop of each OS. What loads is always the C: desktop located at C:\Users\Ben\Desktop even when the Disk Manager shows D: as Boot.

Terry60

Staff member
That's 2 of you with the same symptoms in one day
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7074
Are you saying that BC calls itself D in Disk Mgmt when it's booted ?
Why don't you check with the other user if you're both using the same cloning software.

Last edited:

b.c.

So I ended up installing windows again on the 2nd partition and everything works fine. For what ever reason Windows 7 doesn't like to be cloned from one partition to the next. However, during one of my test, I was able to successfully clone Windows 7 from one partition to the next with a older version of a Ghost boot disk (version 7 I believe) on a SATA II drive. Cloning with the newest Ghost 15 on a SSD drive just doesn't work... so it's either something to do with the newest Ghost 15 or the SSD drive... and you have to use Ghost 15 on a SSD because the older Ghost won't clone partitions on a SSD.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Terry, this is a Windows bug then?

Terry60

Staff member
Not sure whether it's MS or the third party clone, but nothing to do with Easy as far as I can see.
It's correctly booting into one or other OS, but they are not keeping themselves separated from one another