Dual Boot Windows 7 and XP/7 Installed First

I'm trying to set up dual boot with Windows 7 and XP according to this tutorial:http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html.. EasyBCD version is 1.7.2. Windows 7 was factory installed and working fine, then I installed Windows XP in a new partition. Current hard drive layout is R:->Win 7 recovery partition, F:->system partition, contains windows 7 install and boot files (BOOT folder repaired w/EasyBCD, BOOTMGR, NTLDR, and BOOT.INI), G:->Windows XP install, and D:->Data volume. I'm trying to first add Windows XP entry according to tutorial. The "Drive" parameter is set to D: and can't be changed. If I click Add Entry anyway, I get an "unhandled exception" error, "Index and count must refer to a location within the string". I get the error when trying to add Windows 7 (Vista/Longhorn) also, using drive F:.

Don't use 1.7
EasyBCD 2.0 latest build will automate adding XP and has full W7 support.
See the sticky thread
The BCD doesn't use letters, it uses UIDs.
EasyBCD translates those into letters for your convenience.
They are the letters as seen from the system on which you are running EasyBCD.
Each system will see those letters differently unless you personally, have modified them to be identical.

Terry, I'm, getting exactly the same results with the 2.0 beta. EasyBCD is defaulting to drive D: for Windows XP, but the correct drive is G:. I'm trying to do this under XP which is the only way I can boot right now.
Thanks,
Bill

Don't change the drive for XP. The BCD does not point to XP. It points to the copies of the XP boot files which EasyBCD2 will place in the correct place for you ("system" partition). They point to XP. (It does that for you too)
Just add the entry, leave the drive alone and accept the offer to auto-configure.
It's all in the sticky

After rebuilding the BCD, and EasyBCD finally getting the XP drive correct, I can't reboot and now I can't even automatically fix Windows 7 from the install disk. Sorry, but trying to do this with EasyBCD is a waste of time so I'm going to do what I should have originally which is to delete Windows 7, reinstall XP, then reinstall 7 and let it build the BCD. I hope that works.

Back