Dual Boot, Windows 7 & Windows XP, not working.

miteymitey

I have a Toshiba Laptop (L355-S7907) in which I have just replaced the HDD. I have installed Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and Windows XP Pro 32bit. Prior to installing XP, Windows 7 worked fine with no problems. After installing XP, every time I rebooted the laptop it immediately booted into XP with no choice as to which OS I wanted to access. Upon googling the problem I discovered EasyBCD and installed it in XP, as that is the only OS I can access. I currently have EasyBCD setup with Windows 7 as the default OS with no time out, hold for user selection. I saved the settings and closed the EasyBCD window. Still, on every reboot the system loads XP with no choice of OS. I installed the iReboot program, set it to reboot on selection, selected Windows 7 and the system still loads XP with no choice of OS.
What am I doing wrong? Have I missed something? My XP partition is only 19G as my only reason for having it on the system is to play some older games I enjoy. I really need to access the Windows 7 for primary uses.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Well, I tried that and at least I now have a choice of OS to access, however I can't access XP.
When I select XP I get a message stating "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." It advises that I should insert my installation disk and repair the OS.
When I insert my installation disc and get the option of either setting up XP or repairing XP and I select repair I get sent to a command line window that I have no idea what to do with. I tried "FIXBOOT" but that had no effect. I also tried re-installing XP and selected the repair function from that list. That got me into XP but I was right back where I started with regards to being able to access either OS. When I reboot the system it automatically loads XP. So, I re-tried BCD Deployment and it the whole thing went back to where I was after initially using the BCD Deployment. I get a choice of Windows 7 or Windows XP but I get the same message as before when I try to access XP.
Any other suggestions?

Don't try to repair things with the XP disc. Thats what regressed the boot in the first place.
Boot into W7, run EasyBCD, delete the XP entry and add it again (auto configure).

Back