dual boot windows 8 developer preview and windows 7

Thank you for your quick reply :smile:
I am no boot expert, but i managed to create with easy BCD a windows boot menu with: XP, Vista, W7, Ubuntu and OSX.

I am afraid when I install W8 preview i will not be able to access the rest of the above Operating Systems (perhaps with the exemption of W7) because of the new W8 boot menu.

Thanks, will let know the results :smile:

/update

I know have the new blue boot menu with 3 entries: W8 preview, W7 and Vista
When I start easy BCB in Vista I get the following settings:

/paste

There are a total of 6 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows Developer Preview
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #2
Name: Windows Developer Preview
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: G:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: E:\

Entry #4
Name: Windows Seven
BCD ID: {9f7d238d-07db-11dc-be8a-0010a7233fc0}
Drive: F:\

Entry #5
Name: Leopard 10.5.2
BCD ID: {9f7d2370-07db-11dc-be8a-0010a7233fc0}
Device: boot
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

Entry #6
Name: Ubuntu 11.04
BCD ID: {9f7d2393-07db-11dc-be8a-0010a7233fc0}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Last edited:
Windows 8 and XP dual boot

I guess I don't have a question but what happened may be of interest.
I have XP on one drive and Win 8 on another. I was using F12 to select which to boot. I ran a repair on the Win 8. After that it booted with the Win8 boot option graphic and listed Windows 8 twice. So I ran easybcd and removed one of them. After that it rebooted with no operating systems listed but clicking "other operating systems" carried on to Windows 8. Then I added XP as an option but it still booted up with the W8 graphic again with no op sys's shown. So I made XP the default and rebooted. This time it came up with thw W8 graphic with just W8 listed but no XP. But at least I could boot XP using F12. I tried to run easybcd in XP but got the message that it is only for vista systems, so I uninstalled it. Back into W8 and tried easybcd again but it said it could not locate an NT2003 entry. So I rebooted into XP using F12 and horror it just blue-screened. So I rebooted back into W8 and used that to scan the XP drive (D). I removed the old entry and rebooted using F12. phew XP was back. Somehow easybcd had corrupted XP. I rebooted back into W8 and added XP successfully. Now it reboots with a text window. Success but scary! The XP has all my daughters Sims3!

I have the same problem. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a SSD drive and Windows 8 Relese Preview on a regular SATA platter drive. I installed Easy BCD awhile ago on my Windows 7 disk.

I don't get the blue graphical interface. Just black screen with white text. No mouse.

I have two entries. One for Windows 7 and one for Windows 8.

Windows 7 works fine

Windows 8 gives me the error message about possibly damaged files and wants me to put the installation disk in and also says something about not recognizing the file signature and it shows the winlogon.exe file.

I went into Easy BCD and told it to accept unsigned files but it didn't help.

In 4 more months it probably won't matter anymore because Windows 8 willl be out officially and we can all just go back to a single system if we want.

But, for now, I can't seem to access my Windows 8 at all.

Hmmmm.

All suggestions appreciated :smile:

Vista bootmgr won't load W7 and W7 won't load W8. The bootmgrs, though ostensibly the same, are not forward compatible and see a newer release as counterfeit (Invalid digital sig).
You can boot Vista/7 from W8 and Vista from W7. Backward compatibility is maintained.
You can fix the broken W8 boot with the W8 DVD and use it as the primary boot device, or copy its bootmgr over to W7 (rename the W7 version first if you want to put it back later)

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 on seperate drives.

If I tell the UEFI to make Windows 8 the boot drive it goes to the logon screen.
How do I get it to boot to the boot screen with the option to choose a different OS?

If you can get into W8 by specifying it as the primary boot device, then install EasyBCD on W8 and add an entry to the W8 BCD for W7 and it should give you the old-style boot menu for a dual-boot choice.

Back