Dual boot Windows 8 Release Preview x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I installed Windows 8 on the second partition of my second hard drive. Windows 8 Release Preview Setup did not set up a dual boot menu. In order to get back to Windows 7 I changed the BIOS Setup boot order. I installed EasyBCD on Windows 7 and added Windows 8 with EasyBCD. I get a proper dual boot menu but when I choose Windows 8 I get a screen stating that I have attempted to access an unsigned entry (or words to that effect). I found out what everybody here already knows, I can't set up a W7/W8 dual boot that works from Windows 7.

If I change the boot order back to boot into Windows 8 and then install Easy BCD will I be able to add Windows 7 and have the dual boot menu work? If the current stable version won't do it will the latest beta do it?

Addendum

Update: The answer to my question turns out to be install EasyBCD on Windows 8 so that it reads the Windows 8 boot data already on the drive and then add Windows 7. That produces the Windows 8 style multiboot selection screen that works. It does not work to install EasyBCD on Windows 7 and try to add Windows 8. But then all you guys already know this, right?

Last edited:
I have Windows 8 RP installed in the last partition on my second hard drive and have no problems with EasyBCD installed in the first OS in my setup - Vista. You have to tell Windows 8 that you don't want to use it's bootloader, which returns you to the older style boot choices screen at next boot. From there you can use EasyBCD installed on your main, most used, system like I do (along with iReboot installed on all systems for ease of switching between them). Or am I misreading what you did perhaps?

There's a tutorial here: Startup Options Menu - Boot to in Windows 8

You must have missed that screen when installing Windows 8 as the first thing it asks is if you want to change the boot order when it detects multiple drives.

See also: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Last edited:
The problem is that I was in Windows 8 after the installation and when I did a Restart it simply booted to Windows 8 again without offering a Startup Options Menu. That was my whole problem. With the Developer and Consumer Previews I did get a proper Startup Options screen on restart but not when I did the Release Preview. Easy BCD solved it but not while I tried from Windows 7. It took me a turn or two to catch on that all I need to do was use it on the Windows 8 side.

I don't use the forums you reference. Thank you for the reply.

Back