Dual boot windows XP and Windows 7. (Uncommon problem)

hiprakhar

Dear friends,

here it goes.
The problem: I had windows XP on drive F. and Windows Vista on Drive C. Then I installed Windows 7 on drive C. Now the system boots directly to 7, without bothering to show the dual boot menu.

Elaborated: I had a working instance of both Windows XP and Windows Vista on Drive F: and C: respectively. The dual boot menu worked perfect. No problems.
Then I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 over Vista, in drive C:
Before that I used VistaBootPRO (installed on XP) to create a replica of the BCD files.
Then I did a successful fresh install of Windows 7, in drive C:
Now I dont see the boot menu, rather the system boots directly to windows 7.

What do I do now? How to log back in to windows XP?

ps: I have the copy of all boot files lying in C: drive when Vista reigned there, and BCD file created by VistaBootPRO prior to Windows 7 installation.

Please help.

Hi hiprakhar, welcome to NST.
Firstly, get rid of VBP, an inferior knock-off of EasyBCD stolen from CG, which should never be mentioned in these boards.
Secondly download EasyBCD 2.0 latest build in W7.
Add an XP entry
Let it auto-configure when it offers.

Hi Terry,

Well thanks for routing me through the right version of EasyBCD. I apologise for mentioning the not so smart, "cheap knock off" of easyBCD...!

I got my XP back. But a small suggestion for future:
Try making a static page for EasyBCD downloads and keep updating the page with newer versions, instead of having a making a fresh one for every EB. This is what happened to me, I downloaded EB 1.7 via google, assuming it to the latest but it failed to solve the problem. Whereas 2.0 was smart enough to help me.

And Terry you are a complete shortcut guy. You used 4 abbreviations in your 4 lines post... :smile:

When 2.0 comes out of Beta, (it's very stable in the basics, but CG adds a new feature every other day !) it'll replace the old link, and new users will not be directed to the old software.
Unfortunately 99% of new users are using cutting edge OS releases, so need the Beta features (not included in 1.7 purely through chronology)
In the interim, I'm obliged to write scores of near-identical posts, hence as many abbreviations as I can get away with.

2.0 well be posted on a general download page Google well index in the future when it is finished.

Hi sir,
I have wind7 installed on drive C and I installed winXP on F, I installed the older version of EasyBCD and it keep booting on winXP I never had the choose secreen.
I just read for your website that there is a new version and I did download it and installed it but I got the same thing ..it loged in to the winXP with out getting the choose secreen!!
please help and thank you in advace.
Regards,
Bashar.

Hi Terry,
thanks for welcoming me to NST.
I have done that and nothing chagned, and I even deleted the win7 entry and add it again along with XP and still not working keep loading on XP :|
thank you.
Bashar

Hello bashar.
Run EasyBCD->Manage Bootloader->Reinstall the Vista bootloader->Write MBR.
This will write MBR and bootsector code which searches for the W7 "bootmgr" file instead of the XP "ntldr" file (which is how it is now). This will allow you to boot into W7...providing when you deleted and re-rcreated the W7 entry, you made sure to point it at the partition W7 is on. Otherwise, you will get a boot error saying it can't find the winload.exe.

Cheers.

Jake

thanks Jake for replying me,
I did what u told me and I am having this error , sorry it's long one but have to post it so u can tell me whats going on??

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: count
at System.String.Remove(Int32 startIndex, Int32 count)
at ..(String , String )
at ..(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EasyBCD
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.65
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.65
CodeBase: file:///F:/Program%20Files/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
{219c894d-60dd-4093-81bf-dad3379a4372}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/Program%20Files/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Interop.Microsoft.Feeds.Interop
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

No need to reboot.
Just install the latest version of Easy you have installed, download an earlier version, and install that version. Then try reinstalling the Vista bootloader again.

it ok Jake, I manage to load up my win7 but now when I restart my computer I get the choose screen and keep getting the NTLDR is messing !!
I'll keep trying till i get it work, thanks for your help M8.
Bashar

Hi Jake,
sorry to bother u but I tried everything and still can't the XP to load up!!..is there any way to fix that??
I am running out of options here...please if you have any advise it would be grate to this working.
Thanks M8.
Bashar

Hi Jake,
sorry to bother u but I tried everything and still can't the XP to load up!!..is there any way to fix that??
I am running out of options here...please if you have any advise it would be grate to this working.
Thanks M8.
Bashar
Did you try the auto-config in EasyBCD?
Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, along with the contents of the Detailed (debug) mode in the View Settings section of EasyBCD.
Also, if you could post the contents of the boot.ini file (EasyBCD->Tools->Edit Legacy Entries), it would be great.

Hi Jake,
there you go, here is my screen shoot along with the boot.ini ifo.
I did what u told me about adding the XP with EasyBCD2 and still not getting anywhere...should I assign the drive letter when I add the XP entry or not??
this is what I am doing I tell it which drive is at and I press add it will pop up the message about if I want to be auto configured or not and I press yes.
when I go to change setting and choose the win7 at Default OS and win XP at the associated setting and hit save for both....when I close it and open it again just to make sure its still the way i wanted to be ...i find out that it went back to the default setting bot on win7:|.

thanks for your help.
Bashar

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on E:\" /fastdetect

Attachments

• DM.jpg
    DM.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 7
Back