Dual boot windows XP and Windows 7. (Uncommon problem)

You must let EastBCD auto-configure.
It knows what it's doing
You edited the BCD incorrectly
"when I go to change setting and choose the win7 at Default OS and win XP at the associated setting"
Don't change what it sets up - It's supposed to point to C: for XP
go into change settings and put the XP disk back to C, the way EasyBCD correctly set it.
Please read the sticky thread point 5

OMG!!! thank you very much...it worked like a charm and all that time i was changing the setting with out knowing that i shouldn't change any thing!!
any way sir thanks again for your help thank you all as wonderful team work.
Cheers!!
Bashar

I am having the exact same problem as in the first post in this thread. I have XP installed on one hard drive and I had Vista on another drive and upgraded to Win 7 on that drive. I used to be able to go to my bios under Boot Device Priority and change what drive I wanted to boot too and I could use XP. Now that I have Win 7 installed the XP drive is not showing up in Boot Device Priority. In my bios under Hard Disk Drives I see my XP and my Win 7 drives but when I go to Boot Device Priority I see only my Win 7 drive and one of my dvd drives. It seems like Win 7 changed something on my XP drive that it can't boot to anymore. I can get to and use all my files on my XP drive but can't boot to it and use the programs on it. I have EasyBCD installed and let it auto config like you said but now I get a message from XP that says File:\NTLDR is missing or corrupt. I looked around on this site and saw where to download the file from but I don't know where to put it or what to do when I get the file.

Don't change what the auto-configure sets up. (the BCD points to XP's boot files not XP itself)

I am using 1.7.2 and I don't see anything about what build I am using. Here is what I did today though...

I unplugged my Win 7 drive and It booted to XP with no problem then I plugged my Win 7 drive back in and EasyBCD still says I am missing the NTLDR file.

I messed with the BIOS again and found out I can boot it to XP from the BIOS again. In the BIOS when I go to Boot, then Hard Disk Drives, it shows both drives listed as Drive 1 and Drive 2 so I can just change Drive 1 to my XP drive and it works. But, when I go into the BIOS and go to Boot then Boot Device Priority, I only see the one drive and one of my DVD drives. Before I installed Win 7 I could see both drives and choose which drive I wanted to boot to there. I think if I could get it back to see both drives under Boot Device Priority instead of one hard drive and one DVD drive that EasyBCD would work. I am just happy now that I can boot back to XP. Thanks for all your help.

I am going to try to download 2.0 beta build 75 now through your link and see it that works.

I installed beta 2.0 75 and ran it and this is what is says but it still won't boot to XP and still says I am missing the NTLDR file.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
Did you say "yes" when it offered to auto-configure ?
If not you can invoke the auto-configure now through the "tools" option

Thanks you two, it works great now. I did go back and delete the XP entry then added XP again then I saw the Auto Config button and used it and everything workes perfect now. Thanks again for all the help.

.Hello daren, welcome to NST.
(Funny...I got your post about the APCMag article before you posted it here, and have already looked at it)
The process of setting up dual-boot with Win 7 (or any other OS) is also easy with EasyBCD. :brows: Plus, its freeware, and you wont lose 40 bucks on a piece of software that can only add VHD entries to the BCD (which, btw, Easy does too...and a whole lot of other stuff too), and rename a boot entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dual Boot Windows XP with Windows 7

EasyBCD does not create a VHD and then install Windows to that VHD. It also does not update the Windows Boot Manager to support VHD Boot. Portlock Leap Frog does. Portlock Leap Frog does not require a OPK or AIK, and can mount VHD drives within XP and Vista.

EasyBCD does not create a VHD and then install Windows to that VHD. It also does not update the Windows Boot Manager to support VHD Boot. Portlock Leap Frog does. Portlock Leap Frog does not require a OPK or AIK, and can mount VHD drives within XP and Vista.
True, it doesn't create a VHD, but you can add a VHD entry to your Windows BCD with EasyBCD. And creating a VHD with the free diskpart CLI tool on the W7 DVD is not difficult. There are how-tos you can find on the web to tell you how to do it.
Mounting VHD drives within Windows is nice, but I'm sure there's probably some free tool out there that can do the same thing, if you search the Web for one. :wink: Really, I don't think Portlock Leap Frog is worth the $40 you'll have to pay for it.

Back