Dual boot WinXpPro + Win 7 problem

AJRimmsey

The problem i hit was after using EasyBCD 2.0 i now have 2 loader screens when i boot to the first OS [winxppro],the easybcd one and the windows xppro`s own one.

so when i hit the win xp option in easybcd loader it jumps to the windows xp loader and i have to tell it again to start one or the other os`s.

Is there any way to get rid of the windows loader and keep the Easybcd loader ?

I also wantedto know if i can cut and paste the recovery console command from the windows loader to the easybcd loader ?

thanks for any tips/help

boot.ini looks like this >

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Windows Xp Pro"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Last edited:
That's standard MS boot architecture.
It's not possible to boot multiple XPs from the BCD chaining to NTLDR.
However, you're in luck. NST has a custom XP loader which does have the capability.
Read all about it here
Get the latest Beta, and use the manual option (not auto) to set up your multiple XP entries.
Don't change what EasyBCD sets up.

Thanks for reply..

i dont have multiple Xp`s,somehow i messed up the loader entries trying to get Win 7 added to the loader,that was why i hunted down easybcd,because i reinstalled xp on the c: and lost access to win 7 on the d:.

I think what i need is either the boot.ini modified by hand or to know where the other loader is [if there is another loader,for all i know its the same loader trying to load twice.

But the problem is semisolved,all my new gear should be here monday and will start a new rig from scratch.
gives me time to work out how to use easybcd on a fresh dual boot.

Just delete the XP entry in EasyBCD, and add a new one with the default options. Don't modify anything it does. Problem solved.

Back