Dual boot with Windows bootloader - error 0xc000007b

mrjigsaw

Hello.

I know there are many similar topics but in some of them user wanted to use Grub[2]? bootloader, in others people installed Linux first and then Windows and the rest was posted before EasyBCD 2.2 where UEFI is supported.

So, as you guess, I have UEFI, I installed Windows first (currently Win10) and then Linux (openSUSE 13.1). I want to be able to boot both systems from Windows bootloader.

I don't know if with Linux Grub2 or Grub was installed so with the help of EasyBCD I added 3 entries to the menu: Linux+Grub2+automatic_partition, Linux+Grub+easybcd_grub+automatic_partition, Linux+Grub+manual_partition. None of them work. Here are my partitions:
Code:
Partition 1 (0xA4 - 300 MiB)
Partition 2 (0x28 - 100 MiB)
Partition 3 (0x16 - 128 MiB)
Partition 4 (C:\ as NTFS - 299 GiB)
Partition 5 (0xA4 - 480 MiB)
Partition 6 (0x6D - 2 GiB)
Partition 7 (E:\ as EXT3 - 40 GiB)
Partition 8 (F:\ as EXT3 - 590 GiB)
As manual_partition I've chosen #5 (please note that #1 and #5 have the same address - I don't know if it's important). Last 3 partitions are the Linux ones. Swap, root and home.

And here's the error (I googled my translation so it might be slightly different):
Code:
Windows failed to start... [instructions on repairing windows]
and at the bottom:
File: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr

Info: the application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
It's weird because it's shown when I try to boot Linux (I can boot Windows just fine), and it's saying "windows failed to start". And if I booted the 3rd entry where I chose partition manually the file is \NST\nst_linux.mbr instead.

Moreover, I've found somewhere that "in a UEFI based system the Windows Boot Manager can only boot Windows systems".
Is it true and I have to reset BCD in EasyBCD so change Windows bootloader to grub and then add Windows or is there another solution using EasyBCD?

Thank you for the answer and the link!

I wanted to make sure that it was the problem as I'm not good with bootloaders and such.
I'll then go with 3rd option and use grub2 as I only wanted to use Windows bootloader to learn how to do it to boost my skills a little bit.

Back