Dual Boot won't detect XP

GGentry

Hello. I'm new here and am confused. I installed Win 7 on the C drive, then XP on a J drive. I reset the boot order to Win 7 primary by using the "repair" option from the Win 7 install
disk. I have both entries in the EBCD boot menu, Win 7, drive C as default, XP, drive C (I used auto detect) as the second entry. When I restart, I get the Windows Boot Loader screen asking me to select either Win 7 or XP. Selecting XP gives me an error sayng: File \NST\ntldr missing, corrupt.

I found this in the XP trouble shooting guide and feel I'm close to finding the issue but am still a sea about how to fix it.

NTLDR is missing or corrupt (or one of its variants)

Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem.File: \ntldrStatus: 0xc000000fInfo: The selected entry couldn't be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

As this error message says, NTLDR could not be located. Make sure the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD points to the system drive and keep in mind that this is not necessarily the same as the drive that Windows XP is installed to.
If the drive is correct, make sure NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM exist in the root partition. If they don't or if they're corrupted, you can download them here." (End of Trouble shooting Guide entry)

I searched the C directory and found NTDETECT.COM residing in Program Files (X86) in the NeoSmart folder. NTLDR was not found. There was a folder in the C root named NST but it was empty. I downloaded the 2 files from the link in the trouble shooting guide and copied/pasted NTLDR and NTDETECT into the NST folder in the C root.

This yields no change. I am stumped. Thanks.

Try deleting the XP entry from the BCD and adding it again (auto). Don't change anything it sets up.
Report any error messages, and if XP still doesn't boot, post EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed) and a screenshot of your Disk Management. (the sticky will show how if you need help)
All that manipulation of the XP related boot files only applies to EasyBCD v1.
Since release 2 it should all happen automatically as long as you don't try second-guessing it.

Last edited:
Back