dual boot XP and Vista. cannot boot to XP

berkcan

I have 2 hdds. One had XP other had Vista. I had XP installed on one of them the then I installed Vista on the other one. My system directly booted to Vista, there was no option to boot to XP.

I downloaded your tool few minutes ago - Easy BCD. I added a new entry for XP and now under under View Settings it looks like this:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {f58e25af-67d6-11dc-af72-808a050b30ea}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, during reboot I see Vista and XP to choose from but I can only boot to Vista. When I choose XP it errors out as following:
File: \NTLDR
Info: Selected entry coudlnt be located because application is missing or corrupt.

I tried setting drive for entry #2 to c:\ but result is the same. I also noticed in D:\ where I have XP installed I dont have boot.ini or NTLDR. (Also not in C:\) So, can you help me fix this problem? I just wanna choose what to boot to on reboot.

Thanks,

Berk Celebisoy (MSFT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Berk, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

Assumming that D:\ is your boot drive, copy NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM to there. You can grab them both from our site @ Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki in the "Troubleshooting" section.

You can also follow the steps on that page to create a boot.ini as well.

I have the same issue as berkcan.

on Vista (c:smile: I can see my XP partion (d:smile: and I had already boot.ini, ntdlr, and ntdetect.com on d:
now ich copied those files to c: and now I just got a black screen when trying to boot XP

my boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

both harddrives are SATA disks .... and Vista is on one and XP on the other.

so what am I doing wrong?

greetings from Vienna, Austria, Europe,

Joachim

Dear All,

PLEASE HELP! It's like I'm hitting a brick wall...and can't get past it!

In the past, I used EasyBCD to dual boot into XP and Vista, with Vista being the primary (active) partition...My motherboard went bad so I replaced it with a new one (same exact model EVGA 680i SLI)...and plugged everything (HDD's) in as before, or at least I think as before....

Vista was not booting properly so I used the Vista DVD to repair the system boot and it did repare it. Then, I used EasyBCD from within Vista to add the XP entry and I get the same "ntldr" error as mentioned above...I then added the files NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM to where XP resides (D:/) and still nothing. Changed the configurations drive of XP to C:/ (where Vista is) instead of D:/ and moved the files above to the Vista directory (C:/). Then I got a message after selecting XP at the boot menu ("Missing or Corrupt Boot.ini"). So I went according to instructions on EasyBCD site and created boot.ini file and changed all the values that need to be changed. When I boot, I select XP, and I have two choices under this..."Default Windows" and "Windows XP Professional" as provided in the boot.ini file given in the help/support pages of EasyBCD. When I select:

1- "Default Windows": the screen flashes and then the monitor and pc resets on its own....!!!

2-"Windows XP Professional": a message is displayed instructing me to load/replace the ntoskrn.exe file because it is corrupt or missing. I checked both partitions (Vista and XP) and they all contain that file under Windows/System32/NTOSKRN.exe..!!!

So neither choice works! I don't know what to do now...I'm absolutely clueless...Desperately in-need for HELP!

Many thanks,

Haitham

OK ... got it to work now .... but was not easy ....

a) the boot.ini, which I copied from the XP partition I had to change slightly.
2 times the "rdisk(0)" to "rdisk(1)" (because XP is on the other harddrive)

b) all 3 files are now on both hardfiles: ntdlr, ntdetect.com und boot.ini (on D: [XP] the unchanged boot.ini

c) in EasyBCD tool I have added XP and used D: but the tool changed that to c: (seems to be OK as it is working)

d) then click on "Configure Boot". Select you Windows XP OS under "Entry-Based Settings" and note the drive location. Make sure it's set to C:\.

Save everything .... and then it was working OK for me

(some of the info I got from the comments (!) found here: http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Hope that helps ...

Greetings,

joachim

Back