Dual Boot (XP/Vista) with 2 HDs

I have built a new PC with 2 SATA hard drives. I would like the first drive to contain Vista and the second drive to contain XP. If I boot up in Vista, I would like the C: drive to be the Vista drive and the D: drive to be the XP drive. Similarly, if I boot up in XP I would like the C: drive to be the XP drive and the D: drive to be the Vista drive.

What is the best way to achieve this?

There is no guarentee that you will get teh driver lettering that you so desire. Install XP first will guarentee that you get XP as C:\ for sure. Then isntall Vista afterwards from teh DVD will get you to have Vista as C:\ as well. But there is no way to be sure they they will both be recognized as D:\ in the respected opposite.

Well, assuming each sees itself as C:, it's 99.99% likely that it'll see other one as D: though, isn't it?

Thanks Makaveli213. My main concern is to have the drive with the current OS as C: so if the other OS appears as E: instead of D: I am not too bothered.

Just to clarify, should I boot from the Vista DVD or launch the installer from XP? And presumably both drives should be connected at all time, correct?

There is no guarentee that you will get teh driver lettering that you so desire. Install XP first will guarentee that you get XP as C:\ for sure. Then isntall Vista afterwards from teh DVD will get you to have Vista as C:\ as well. But there is no way to be sure they they will both be recognized as D:\ in the respected opposite.

Well, assuming each sees itself as C:, it's 99.99% likely that it'll see other one as D: though, isn't it?
It is very likely but it is not for sure. Who knows if XP or Vista will see a CD/DVD Drive or even a External drive as D:\ instead. While you are right it is almost 99.99% likely that it will be seen as D:\ there still is that 0.01% that it wont be.:wink:
Thanks Makaveli213. My main concern is to have the drive with the current OS as C: so if the other OS appears as E: instead of D: I am not too bothered.

Just to clarify, should I boot from the Vista DVD or launch the installer from XP? And presumably both drives should be connected at all time, correct?
You should boot from the DVD. If you launch the Vista install from the XP install the Vista will take the first letter open for it primary drive. Going from the DVD will give you teh C:\ drive as the Primary OS drive for Vista.

Thanks again.

It is very likely but it is not for sure. Who knows if XP or Vista will see a CD/DVD Drive or even a External drive as D:\ instead. While you are right it is almost 99.99% likely that it will be seen as D:\ there still is that 0.01% that it wont be.:wink:

You should boot from the DVD. If you launch the Vista install from the XP install the Vista will take the first letter open for it primary drive. Going from the DVD will give you teh C:\ drive as the Primary OS drive for Vista.

Back