dual boot xp

forzaesk

hi, i had xp pro installed on one of my hdd's partition and i installed xp home on the second partition. Now pc boots with xp home without asking which os you wanna boot. If i install easybcd on xp home then can i make both os bootable? thx

You can't control XP with Vista's bootloader, unless you own a copy of Vista and you copy all the Vista files across.
You don't need the BCD however, NTLDR will multi-boot as many XPs as you want by itself.
If you installed XPH to the same HDD as XPP, it should have detected the existing system and created the dual-boot automatically.
If you installed XPH on a new HDD and it wasn't aware of XPP, you'll need to add a line to the boot.ini on whichever system is 1st in your BIOS boot sequence, to point to the other system.

It's described in the wiki, but if you need help, post a screenshot of your disk management display and paste the contents of the boot.ini on the XP you wish to be in control, and we'll advise.

You can't control XP with Vista's bootloader, unless you own a copy of Vista and you copy all the Vista files across.
You don't need the BCD however, NTLDR will multi-boot as many XPs as you want by itself.
If you installed XPH to the same HDD as XPP, it should have detected the existing system and created the dual-boot automatically.
If you installed XPH on a new HDD and it wasn't aware of XPP, you'll need to add a line to the boot.ini on whichever system is 1st in your BIOS boot sequence, to point to the other system.

It's described in the wiki, but if you need help, post a screenshot of your disk management display and paste the contents of the boot.ini on the XP you wish to be in control, and we'll advise.

i got it done, thank you very much for detailed information...

Glad to help.
Visit again if you decide to give W7 or Linux a try and need any advice.

Back