Dual booting linux/XP

Kahai

Distinguished Member
So as i said in another thread, i am doing a school project (for speech) on how to install linux.

Ive taken the needed pictures inside linux for the slide show, and now i would like to take some inside windows.

I would like to know what to do with XP (seeing as easybcd doesnt work for it) and as for the linux boot loader (grub or milo or whatever its called, i use grub)

help would be greatly appreacitated. ^_^

For XP you will want to do this.

Start>Run>msconfig

There the boot.ini tab is what mainly controls the XP boot. Take some screenshots of that and the advanced menu on how to edit it.

Cheers,
Mak

Thankies mak :wink:

your pretty good with the computer man ^_^

okaydokay ill check into that, the speech is tomorrow and ive had a week lol procastination is something im good at unfortunately .

ok so how do i do that, the few tuts ive read so far involve either lilo or grub (i want to use grub)

i know virtually nothing about the inner workings or windows lol

Last edited:
Hello Kahai,

Yeah been messing with PC's since i was like 13. Am 31 now. So it has been quite some time. I have figured out many things to work with. :smile:

So you are trying to figure out how to add a XP entry to GRUB? So that you have use the GRUB loader? Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Cheers,
Mak

well i personally used grub on my last dual boot

however if xp can manage the booting of linux on its own im happy with that, just mean one less step in linux.

so i can just add the info to the boot.ini manually through note pad or something?

like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\XX="Ubuntu" /fastdetect
what goes in XX?

will this work:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\LINUX="Ubuntu" /fastdetect

Last edited:
Kahai,

From what i know Windows boot.ini will not boot Linux. I could be wrong on that though. I have never personally tried it as i never got into Linux till last year and that was after i had already started with Vista and used the Vista boot loader and EasyBCD.

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

That might be more what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Mak

although thats site is helpful its alot of work, and i only have five minutes to explain all this in a slideshow.

sorry to make this not so easy.

how hard is it to let grub be the loader and let it be first? and let it tell windows to load and linux?

this site: Dual Boot Windows and Linux Grub - Debian Linux with Windows 98 ME NT 2000 and XP

says that xp's boot manager ntldr can work with linux. is that right?[FONT=arial,sans serif,helvetica][/FONT]

Last edited:
Kahai,

Sorry i am not of much help for that answer. I really do not know if Linux can use the NTLDR. That would be best reserved for Guru to answer.

Cheers,
Mak

You can't use NTLDR with Linux.

What you can do is point boot.ini to a dump of the GRUB MBR, so it'll run GRUB and GRUB will run Linux (chainloading Linux via GRUB).

Yes Donald, great MS logic. (80% of terrorists cover their heads, ergo "wear a hat - support terrorism")
Makes you realize why the software is such cr*p, if their coders subscribe to the "all cats are animals, therefore all animals are cats" school of logic.

Isn't that ad a joke/satire and not actually by MS?

Especially if you watch it through to the end, it becomes pretty clear.

Yes that is just a thing done by someone against M$. I have seen several of its kind around the net. Some are done by Open Source people while others are done by hard core Apple fans.

I just laugh at them all now. Espically since Apple still has yet to patch the DNS flaw with its client version of OS X. Only the Server version is patched.

I didn't actually look at it, just took Donald's link at face value. I suppose it is a bit unlikely that anyone could be stupid enough to write something like that and actually believe it, though the world is full of examples of people who obviously are stupid enough to believe complete nonsense.

^ Yeah, that's really the only problem. Satire is beautiful, but it does require a certain level of intellect to be appreciated.

A great danger for politicians especially. An Ironic spoken remark, repeated in print, can make someone look a complete idiot/bigot.
Irony requiring by definition that the audience knows the speaker to be lying, and that the speaker knows that they know he is, and that the audience knows that he knows that they know that he is.

lol

i didnt really think MS made it, it could cause really bad PR situations lol

thanks guru and mak and terry

im just going to load the live CD sometime and copy the mbr for grub, and put it in c:/ and edit the boot.ini all in linux ^_^

im really glad i dont have to force mount the ntfs drives anymore lol

speech went well, ran up to the 6.30 time perfectly, i was talking about making sure you select the correct partition to place the grub lol

again thanks everyone

You're most welcome, Donald. Hopefully you've racked up some nice grades with that presentation :smile:

Back