Dual Booting Problem (XP & 7) [Startup Repair Failed]{A disk read error has occurred}

eightbit64

DEAR MODS: This may not be the correct section, if so could you please move it to one which is more appropriate. Thank you.

Hi all, I'm a bit of a noob and this is my first post here. Here's my problem:

I have an Acer Travelmate 6293 and have been dual-booting XP and 7 (on separate partitions) for about a year. Suddenly today, when I tried to boot up my laptop into XP, I got a BSOD with the error message 'UNBOOTABLE_PARTITION' or something along those lines. So then I restarted my laptop, and managed to get into the 7 Built-In Recovery Partition. So I went into that and selected Startup Repair. When it said it was completed, I proceeded to restart my laptop and I was greeted by a message: 'A disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart.' Again, I did this and when it restarts it shows the same message. I then rebooted and inserted my Windows 7 Disk and went into Repair Your Computer. However, when it searches for a Windows installation, it finds no Operating System and I am prompted to Load Drivers, so obviously I can't Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier. So I restarted my computer, and booted up again from the Windows 7 Disk. On the language screen, I opened up a Command Prompt using a shortcut which I found on the internet (ALT + F10 IIRC). I then typed in diskpart, and then list volume. This is what comes up...

Volume 0 F UDF DVD-ROM 2386MB Healthy (Windows 7 Disk)
Volume 1 C RAW Partition 90 GB Healthy (This is my XP Installation)
Volume 2 D NTFS Partition 48 GB Healthy (This is my Windows 7 Installation)
Volume 3 E RAW Partition 10 GB Healthy Hidden (I'm not entirely sure what this partition is. I would assume it's Acer's recovery drive)

Next I typed select disk 0 and detail disk. This is what comes up...

Disk ID: (Is this necessary?? I'm not sure whether to post this or not...)
Type : SATA
Path: 0
Target: 0
LUN ID: 0
Location path : PCIROOT<0>#PCI<1F02>#ATA<C00T00L00>
Current Read-only State: No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No
(And also the same volumes as before)

Ideally, I would like to keep both the 7 and XP partitions, but if that is not possible, then I would rather keep the 7 partition or at least copy my files from it before I wipe it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance. And no, I cannot boot up now in either 7 or XP.

Last edited:
Back