dual-booting trouble

hello,
I started off with xp, but I got a new HD and to install vista on it I unplugged my xp drive and plugged in the new one, installed vista, and everything works fine. I plugged the drive back in, booted vista, and vista assigned it as f: I installed easybcd and followed all the instructions. I chose to boot xp when it restarted and it said the OS was missing. I repaired it all and restarted, but now it is worse. when I choose to boot vista it works fine, but when I try to boot xp it restarts my pc, and I am stuck in an endless loop until I choose to boot vista!
please help.

For which Operating System? Vista has to be at least 20 GB in size while XP should be at least 10GB insize.

For which Operating System? Vista has to be at least 20 GB in size while XP should be at least 10GB insize.

Well, XP can have even 5GB partition, if you install all your software on another partition, also if you redirect all driver installations to another partition, but if you have little bigger HDD, leave 10GB for XP, so you can install drivers, but still install most of "big" software on another partition.

Who wanna bet that I can install Vista Ultimate on 5GB partition? :tongueout:

Sadly the Vista installer wont install on anything less than 20GB. It is the installer that gives that limit. Not the files that are installed. It is true that XP can be installed on 5GB but i say 10GB for the fact that even if you put everything on a 2nd hard drive all the updates and temp files are by default on the main drive. Most of the time people forget about those and wonder why their drive fills up way faster than they expect and wonder why.

But i dont doubt you could install Vista on 5GB but you would have to hack the installer and make it so. Using vlite or something like that it could easily be accomplished. But by default 20GB is the minimal. :wink:

Exactly, Mak :grinning:

Off topic:
I'm installing Vista home premium soon, Yahoo!!! :lol: (On 5BG partition :tongueout:).

Back