Dual booting vista and ubuntu

Naastik

Hello. I have just used the EasyBCD to give Vista priority over Ubuntu.
Unfortunately, I saved the boot details that were necessary in the wrong place while I was using Ubuntu. So now, I can only access Vista. Can anyone help me with how to get back into Ubuntu so that I can save move the details to where Vista can access them. :rage:

Hi naastik, welcome to NST

By your description it sounds as if you're using the menu.lst on your linux partition at /boot/grub/ to boot. It is most likely pointing to the wrong disk, through in some cases partition as well. If you're getting a second menu after selecting the linux entry you've added with entries that do not work, either use grub's edit feature to make temporary changes to root (hdx,y) in your entries until you find the correct disk/partition or use a live Ubuntu disc to edit the file from gedit. If you use grub's edit feature, you'll need to make the changes to the menu.lst file so that they stay that way on reboot.

Unfortunately your description is a bit lacking in detail...:wink: It would certainly help a lot the people who would help you if you described more precisely your troubles, such as what kind of errors your getting when you attempt to boot, whether or not your using NeoGrub in EasyBCD, a copy of whatever menu.lst your using, and any other information you think may be helpful.

-Coolname007

I thought I was being explicit. If I had saved the booting details which I obtained through the terminal on ubuntu into one of the doucment folders that are also available to vista ( I had Vista before I had ubuntu) I would have the necessary details to paste in the menu.lst (which is just empty atm),
Anyway this is what comes up when I press configure after installing NeoGrub:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
The above comes up in a Notepad file.
And this is what comes up when I select Ubuntu in the boot up menu (which shows both Vista and Ubuntu, Vista first):

GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2007-06-14
Memory:637k/2046M, CoodeEnd: ox3EFZC
[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.
For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions.
Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.]
grub>_

I thought I was being explicit. If I had saved the booting details which I obtained through the terminal on ubuntu into one of the doucment folders that are also available to vista ( I had Vista before I had ubuntu) I would have the necessary details to paste in the menu.lst (which is just empty atm),
Anyway this is what comes up when I press configure after installing NeoGrub:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
The above comes up in a Notepad file.
And this is what comes up when I select Ubuntu in the boot up menu (which shows both Vista and Ubuntu, Vista first):

GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2007-06-14
Memory:637k/2046M, CoodeEnd: ox3EFZC
[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.
For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions.
Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.]
grub>_

Your NeoGrub menu.lst is missing any entries, which is why you get to the Grub prompt. :wink: To fix this, delete NeoGrub under the NeoGrub tab, and create a new entry under the Linux tab in EasyBCD, making sure to point it to the correct partition, and remembering to check the box titled "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector". This will install an automatic version of NeoGrub, and you wont have to configure anything.

Let us know if it works as it should. :smile:

-Coolname007

Cool, the "GRUB is not installed" checkbox will not work the EasyBCD 1.7.x with the newest Ubuntu builds because their menu.lst files have uuid commands.

I took coolname007's advice and the screen option changed to one where I was asked to install the Ubuntu cd. So I ended up installing Ubuntu again. Then I had 2 Ubuntus and 2 Vistas installed. So out of impatience and frustration, I restored the computer back to factory settings. Once I have finished reinstalling the stuff back on to it I am going to install Ubuntu again. And maybe this time I will either leave Ubuntu as the dominant boot option or be extra careful how I use EasyBCD.
One would have thought that neo smart would have developed a boot manager which could rectify the simple errors that novices like myself are inevitably going to make.
Oh well....The large freebie (Ubuntu) giveth, And the small freebie (EasyBCD) taketh away.

Back