dual booting vista and xp help

hi all i have followed the tutorial at the following website apcmag on how to dual boot windows vista and then xp. i followed the tutorial and every thing worked fine, but then i recieved BSOD's and was told to reinstall the vista OS from the utiltiy parition at the time xp was working fine by dual booting, after i did that and i could boot in to xp any more, so i installed Easy BCD and tried to add a boot record for xp but after restarting the system i saw the following enteries

windows vista
windows xp

is there any fix to this problem? thanks in advance

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
first i opened easy bsd on windows xp and then went into bootloader and clicked write mbr, then i clicked add/remove entries and vista was already present so i selected the os type and then drive letter blanked or grayed out, i then selected add entry and rebooted the pc and it booted directly into xp and there was no option to select which os to boot into.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Which option did you select from the bootloader management screen?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Try it again. Also make sure that the "timeout" option is not set to zero.

o wait i just restarted the system after doing another attempt at fixing the problem and i now have dual boot. thanks for all your help. the only problem i have now is that i have a utility partition and cannot boot into it as it has options for diagnostics etc. any ideas why?

Last edited:

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Cause that does not contain a OS to boot to. It is just a Utility partition. Most companies use F10, F11 or F12 to access those right after the POST and before the boot loader comes up.