Dual booting w/ Vista and XP

No, Terry is actually right. While "many times" the boot files may be on the XP drive, they're always on the Active Partition.

Generally speaking, the active partition is the C:\ drive of the first partition you installed. In your case, with XP first, Vista second; the active partition is the XP one. But for anyone installing Vista first and XP second, the boot files will never be on the XP partition (unless they use HnS).

I can agree and disagree with everyone at the same time here.
Kairo, as CG said, it's the flags that tell you where the boot files are, not the OS.
I know they can be on the XP system - they are on my XP system - but it's still the "system active" drive.
"boot" means there's a Windows folder on the drive (a bootable OS)
"system" means its the "boot" which also contains the boot files (XP in my case despite BCD being the bootloader)
"active" means it's the "system" to start from (for machines with more than one "system" - only happens if there are non Windows OSs too, eg linux or OSX)
But CG, I installed Vista first, then XP, and somehow I've got XP as the boot drive. (even before HnS)
No idea how it happened, just one of the many mysteries that make Microsoft so well loved !

Simple question

I have Vista Premium 64 bit already installed in C: partition and now i have created a new 30 Gb F: partition to install XP Pro 32 bit.
I'm ready to act but i have a question for you because both Vista & XP are fully licensed Italian versions: is it EasyBCD working with Italian versions ??
Regards - Michele
:brows::brows::brows:

Back