Dual Booting Win XP and Win 7

Cottriabc

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 with Windows 7 (32bit) installed. I cloned another Win XP system onto another SATA drive and installed the drive in the 9150 in hopes of creating a dual boot system. I attempted to use EasyBCD. It created the Win XP entry, but when I boot and select the Win XP option I momentarily get the Blue screen and then an error screen. Is it possible to do what I am attempting by editing the the bootmgr or another file or am I doing something incorrectly with EasyBCD??
Bruce

You can move an entire XP from one system to another but you can’t simply clone. The biggest problem generally as with the video driver. You want to go to settings, control panel, display, settings. There you want to set up the standard VGA driver which came with Windows XP which is 800x600 by 16 colors. Also make sure the Hertz rate is set to the standard 60 Hz.

Generally you don’t have to fix the other drivers for you do the move. You will obviously have to install new drivers for sound.

It may be better to just install a new XP. You can move data from the old system to the new system. If you have for example a lot of icons and folders on your desktop as I do you can use the Windows backup utility to make a backup of that data. You can’t directly copy that data over because of the length of the names.

A neat way to do an audit of your installed programs is to install a program called Revo Uninstaller. Just start up the program and it will display a graphical alphabetical list of all your installed programs. And you can do an ALT PRINT SCREEN, paste into Microsoft Word and print.

Revo Uninstaller 1.91

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol;1

Then you have to do things such as move over your mail and calendar programs and such.

Back